Is this even possible?

Ebreus
Hello everyone. So far my crazy plan to make a system to eliminate a lot of work from my water change routine is coming along quite well.
Anyone know of a way to prevent the siphons of overflow boxes from stalling for the tanks or am I going to have to re-prime the boxes each time?
At that point do you think it'd be easier to convert the system to a Daphnia farm & my display tank on a canister filter or sump?

Advertisement
leftswerve
It reads like you've already had a thread about this before, hence 2 subjects and no background. Siphons and overflow boxes are problematic. There are systems using suction air pumps (toms aqua lifter) to restart the syphon, but IMO they just never last problem free for very long.

Ebreus
It reads like you've already had a thread about this before, hence 2 subjects and no background. Siphons and overflow boxes are problematic. There are systems using suction air pumps (toms aqua lifter) to restart the syphon, but IMO they just never last problem free for very long.
Oh, right my apologies I should've commented on that thread or at least linked to it.
DIY Overflow Box | Freshwater Tank Equipment Forum | 475559

Seems like I've neglected to explain what I have planned anywhere on the forum though, or I've just missed it looking back through my comments and posts.
The basic idea is that I want to set up a daphnia farm an using a few overflow boxes be able to add water to my display tank to do a basic water change for both the display tank and the farm using a bucket as the final output from the overflow box on the daphnia farm.

I have it all mostly planned out. I'd just need something for keeping the siphons from stalling between water changes and I could get to building it. Though from your comment it sounds like that final piece that I'd need for it to be a simple low hassle system doesn't exist.

leftswerve
check out the king of diy on you tube and his weir series. Not sure how you'll keep the daphnia contained.

Ebreus
check out the king of diy on you tube and his weir series. Not sure how you'll keep the daphnia contained.
Thanks, I was thinking of using an oversized box and putting very fine mesh over the holes to prevent the daphnia from being carried away into the output. Might have to modify it a bit more from there.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ebreus
Replies
Views
magedsabri
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views