Is this enough lighting to sustain low-light plants?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Huskiesandfishies, Jul 24, 2015.

1. H

Huskiesandfishies Valued Member Member

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

The 2nd one doesnt even look like its made for aquariums... You need to have about 6500 Kelvin in a LED for planted tanks.

3. OP
    OP
    H

It's a DIY project, its what he wrapped around the PVC pipe, is there a way to measure Volts to kelvin??

4. Dom90

5. OP
    OP
    H

I was trying to diy for much cheaper haha!

6. Dom90

Hmm, maybe someone else will chime in, I'm not good with DIY projects so I just buy the finished product lol.

7. OP
    OP
    H

Haha thank you anyway, Im going to buy egg crate for the aquarium top too :p

8. Dom90

What the heck is egg crate? lol

9. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

10. OP
    OP
    H

11. Dom90

Oh wow neat... I just laid my rocks right on the glass in a sturdy position so they wouldnt fall. But the OP mentioned they would use it for the aquarium top. What purpose would that serve?

I would only use LEDs made specifically for aquariums... different light spectrum could cause all kinds of algae issues imo.

12. OP
    OP
    H

Its the 6000-6500k light range, and Im using it in place of a glass top, keep the fish from jumping out. xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGhWziY_zh0

This is the place I got the idea for that spotlight, pretty planted tank

13. Dom90

You'd probably want to check with Dolfan, he's an expert in plants and all.

14. OP
    OP
    H

Great, It seems these spotlights you just buy and hook up. I Just would have to find a way to hang them or something. Maybe set them on the egg crate, but not sure of that just yet, dont know how heavy they are and what it can support. (Probably have to find a way to hide it and make it look clean too, maybe DIY canopy??)

Looking at 2x http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Equiv...TF8&qid=1437770931&sr=1-9&keywords=flood+lamp for 40 gallon breeder for whoever knows about lighting xD

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2015
  15. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

They are just under 2.5 lbs each.

16. OP
    OP
    H

Yeah I found that shortly after, Just wonder how hot they get, a video said not very hot. but I dont want to chance it until I know from first hand experience either lol

17. KarenLM

LED's are a lot cooler than other types of lighting - I can touch mine with my fingers right now and they have been on for 4 hours - they are barely warm!

Mine are LED strip lighting sold at LFS. I have 4 sets about 2' long each on my 55gal.

18. OP
    OP
    H

Does yours sustain plants? I think that DIY project at the start using strip lighting

19. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

That's pretty cool. I may buy that strip light and adhere it to the weak light that came with my fluval spec v tank for some extra boost. Maybe then my Berta won't be living in the shade.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

20. KarenLM

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice