Is this enough light to GROW low-light Java Fern, Anubias, etc?

ChrisX

I have a DIY lighting setup made from a Petsmart hood and a Supernight LED kit. It looks bright (like daylight color with everything combined), the color is customizable, but I have no idea what wavelengths or wattage this is.

The picture is of the cycling tank. There is lots of algae growing. The java fern was doing OK until I raised the temp up to 84+* for a week to try to speed up the cycle, then I realized this is outside the range for the plant, so I lowered back to 78*, but the large leaves started to brown. There has been some root growth/extension around the driftwood.

I'd like to know if this is enough, can I start working on my planted aquascape, or should I add more / better lights?

I am going to keep this hood (for now), so my options are to

0) Do nothing, it should be enough light to grow/propagate low light plants
1) Add another supernight strip (easiest and would be controlled by same remote)
2) Add a 6500K 60 watt LED light kit.
3) Add a RBW 60 watt led strip (designed for growing plants with white leds alternating 1/1/1 ratio)
4) Other

ChrisX

Dave125g

Typically if you can grow algae, you can grow low light plants.

ChrisX

ok, thanks. I'll stick with this setup for now. Ideally, I'd like the plants to grow quickly and be as healthy as possible. It would be no bother to add another led strip.

Dave125g

Java fern is a rather slow growing plant. For fast growth high tech is the way to go. Liquid ferts and CO2 should give you some quick growth.

ChrisX

If I add CO2 and fertilizer, should I also upgrade the lights?

Dave125g

If your gonna go high tech you might as well. It will give you so many options on plants.

ChrisX

I just did a test. There is a lux app on my tablet that measures light intensity using the light sensor.

At a distance of 18", the stock lights provide ~700 lux. The supernight provide ~850. Together they are almost 1600.

I know this is not PAR, and the accuracy of the app is dubious, but its a pretty good idea of how bright the tank looks to a person.

The app is called Light Meter and it has a purple skin. Wonder how much lux other kinds of lights provide?

Most photos and links are disabled if you are not logged into the forum.

Top Bottom