Is This Enough Ferts For My Planted Tank?

smee82

The only way to tell is by teating your water or by plant growth

California L33

It seems like plenty to me, but smee82 is right- there's only one way to tell. You're better off erring on the side of not enough than too much, though.

smee82

It seems like plenty to me, but smee82 is right- there's only one way to tell. You're better off erring on the side of not enough than too much, though.

I disagree more is better then less. Not enough ferts can encourage algae.

California L33

I disagree more is better then less. Not enough ferts can encourage algae.

The only time I ever had a runaway algae bloom was when I accidentally overdosed my tank with ferts . In two days every surface in the tank was covered and my Nerite snail put in for overtime.

-Mak-

OP, that mix doesn't contain phosphate. You might not need it depending on bioload and food. You could also get your dry ferts from nilocg. They come pre-measured in packages and are supposed to be easy to mix.

YoBoiBlaze

Is it ok to overdose? Or will that promote algae?

California L33

Is it ok to overdose? Or will that promote algae?

smee82 says that overdosing will prevent algae growth. My experience is actually the opposite. So it may depend on fertilizer type, light levels, or some other factors. In general, though, I don't know why you'd want to use more than you need. The larger the amount you use the more water changes you must do to prevent a build-up of nutrients that aren't being used. Remember, aquariums are closed ecosystems. If something is added it is either absorbed, breaks down, or must be removed. If it breaks down then the same applies to whatever it breaks down to.

-Mak-

People dose in excess, specifically in the EI method, to prevent any possibility of deficiency. Deficiency will slow plant growth and therefore promote algae.

YoBoiBlaze

My amazon swords are growing like weeds, but my dwarf hairgrass is barely sending out shoots. I have osmocote under the swords so should I put it under the dwarf hairgrass? But somewhere I heard they are water column feeders, so should I increase my liquid ferts?

-Mak-

Carpeting plants can be both, but a nutrients in the substrate go a long way for them.

YoBoiBlaze

So I have osmocote in 00 pills, should I just plant thos under the DHG 3-4 in apart?

-Mak-

So I have osmocote in 00 pills, should I just plant thos under the DHG 3-4 in apart?
I've never used osmocote so I'm not 100% sure, but I imagine since DHG is such a small plant some may not reach the pills if they are so far apart. That's why a soil based substrate is easier in general, nutrients are spread evenly. Is it safe to break open the pills and spread the balls of fertilizer more evenly underneath the sand, or is that a no-no? Hopefully someone with osmocote experience can chime in!

UglyAsian

Try for a week. If the plants are making runners, and are green and lush, it is working

YoBoiBlaze

How would I go about spreading the osmocote under the sand, and how deep would I put it

jmaldo

How would I go about spreading the osmocote under the sand, and how deep would I put it
Newbie, just watching. Might want to check with AngelTheGypsy. I remember reading a post where she had a problem with the amount.

smee82

Put it 2cm under the.surface

AngelTheGypsy

Use VERY SPARINGLY!!!!! I put about a cup worth underythe sand in a 40 breeder, and it created 2 ppm ammonia per day. I eventually got the tank cycled, but the nitrates would rise 20ppm per day once stocked. I had to break the tank down and remove as much osmacote as possible.
When I did my 75, I put maybe a tablespoon under the sand.
To answer your question, I placed the osmacote before I added sand. But you can do it without the pills, it’s just a much more painstaking process. You also don’t want them to pop up above the surface.
Are you running CO2? DHG is usually considered a demanding plant for high tech tanks. I run low tech, so I haven’t tried it.

YoBoiBlaze

I'm running CO2 at 1.5 -2 BPS. Maybe that the reason I have to much ammonia lol I didn't know it releases ammonia. I'll try to remove some of it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NanaW
Replies
Views
-Mak-
Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views