Is This Duckweed Or Frogbit?

potter

Got this from someone online today. Are these frogbit or duckweed? That's my thumb for size comparison. I don't want duckweed in my tank. The last time I had it it was a nightmare to remove.

Repolie

The smaller ones are duckweed and the larger ones I'm not sure of.

nikm128

Yes I see a some duckweed but also something else I'm not sure of

Skavatar

either giant duckweed or salvinia minima, can you take a few of the larger ones out and get a close up shot?

potter

Skavatar said:
either giant duckweed or salvinia minima, can you take a few of the larger ones out and get a close up shot?
It is actually quite hard to pull out without pulling out the smaller ones but here is a closer shot of just the big ones.

Redshark1

You could have either duckbit or frogweed there.

But seriously, if each leaf has several roots instead of the usual one it could be Lemna polyrhiza / Spirodela polyrhiza = Giant Duckweed.

potter

Redshark1 said:
You could have either duckbit or frogweed there.

But seriously, if each leaf has several roots instead of the usual one it could be Lemna polyrhiza / Spirodela polyrhiza = Giant Duckweed.
Is Giant Duckweed just as painful to get rid of as normal duckweed? I'm trying to decide if I really want to plop them into my tank.

potter

Skavatar said:
red root floater for sure.

Rtessy confirm?
I'll look up red floaters as well and try to figure it out.

nikm128

potter said:
Is Giant Duckweed just as painful to get rid of as normal duckweed? I'm trying to decide if I really want to plop them into my tank.
It's a bit more sensitive and doesn't spread nearly as fast, I see it recommended as an alternative to duckweed all the time

potter

nikm128 said:
It's a bit more sensitive and doesn't spread nearly as fast, I see it recommended as an alternative to duckweed all the time
Okay I'll put the big ones into one of my tank. I hope the small ones doesn't hitchhike in
to my tank.

Redshark1

Yes, Giant Duckweed is a bit easier to remove if required.

midna

definitely giant duckweed and common/lesser duckweed!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom