Is This Dropsy?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Max Sanborn, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Max SanbornValued MemberMember

My fantail/oranda (can't tell because he/she's very young) looks like this. Could it be constipation or any other bloat-related issue, or dropsy? There's no pineconing.
    Tank size: 40 gallon
    Mates: 2 other goldfish
    Water parameters: Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0.3
    Nitrates - 1.1-ish
    PH - 7.3?

Attached Files:

2. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

If they aren't pinconing then it isn't dropsy. I know nothing about goldfish do hopefully someone else can help. @Rtessy may be able to help.

3. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Dropsy is just bloat that has gone so far that it’s forcing the scales out. Hard to tell from the picture but if it isn’t just food, if it’s too big for that.... it’s bloat.

4. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Dropsy is a symptom of kidney failure, not bloat. The kidneys filter out excess fluid from the body, and once they fail, they can't do that so every part of the body fills with excess fluids. The scales stick out once the flesh of the actual scales swell too much.
    OP, has the fish always looked like that? Or is this a new development?

5. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

could you get a close up picture?

has it been pooping? try fasting for 2-3 days.

6. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Sorry but dropsy is merely a symptom of abdominal swelling. Causes include bacterial infection, viral infection, hexamitiasis and osmoregulatory problems (including kidney failure).

7. CandyCane701Valued MemberMember

Yes, but in your last comment you said dropsy was just bloat.

OP, I agree that you should fast him for a few days and then maybe try feeding a skinned pea. Also, what are you using to test your parameters?

8. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

It is. Bloating is a build up of fluids in the body cavity. It’s called dropsy if the scales stick out. Neither is a disease in its own right. They’re just symptoms of any issue that causes abdominal swelling.

9. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Not going to get into another argument where you don't wanna do research. Agree to disagree.
    I also agree with everything else that was said, if there are no pineconing scales, it's not dropsy. If the fish always looked that way, it's probably just how it is, if that's new, just fast for 3 days then feed a deshelled and blanched pea

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice