Is This Dropsy?

Nightshadethebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My poor Betta has been having a hard time lately. Not eating, extreme lethargy, turning pale, rapid breathing at surface, and hiding. My parameters are:

Ammonia: .5
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

I thought he had popeye but taking a closer look at him, his scales look a little pine coned? I got the best pictures I possibly could. I’m scared it may be Dropsy What do I do?

Attachments

Nightshadethebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
WanhiBetta said:
I think it is dropsy. You can treat it with Epsom Salt baths.

For how long have you had the betta? his tank is not cycled. Do you have a filter ? heater? size of the tank? You should do a 50% water change, the 0.5 ammonia is bad for your fish.
I’ve had my betta and the tank for 2 months. Yes, he has a filter and a heater, although I just put the filter in yesterday. The tank size is 2.5 gallons. I’ve been doing 50% water changes for the past couple days to help with the ammonia and I use prime. I feel terrible that he is suffering

Nightshadethebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
WanhiBetta said:
IMO you should help your bacteria grow faster by adding Seachem Stability everyday. Keep doing the water changes then.

If you want to try the Epsom Salt bath to help with Dropsy, here is a link that can help you:
Salt Baths
Thank you. I will start using stability and try to pick up some Epsom salt tomorrow.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom