Is This Dropsy? Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by LucineT, Apr 14, 2018.

1. L

LucineT Valued Member Member

I'm currently using an algae remover to kill off a blue green algae issue in my 10 gallon that's gone out of hand.

While I was checking on Poseidon, he came up to see me as usual and ate but I noticed his scales seem slightly raised. Is this dropsy?

He's not behaving out of the ordinary, just a little sleepier than usual but I've been keeping his tank dark and he perks up after awhile when I let the light on for a little while during checks.

2. mg13

mg13 Well Known Member Member

None of the photos worked. We would need photos to confirm, but raised scales almost always means dropsy. Your best bet (but not very probable) is to do a 75% WC and get some unscented Epsom salts and give him a bath. Here is a link to a really good guide to salt baths.

I hope for your and his sake that it's not dropsy. :(

3. Milliemae124

Milliemae124 Valued Member Member

yes I agree with mg13, do a big water change and give him an Epsom salt bath :)

4. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

If it is dropsy, get some Kanaplex. But first try to get a good close up of your fish. Please look at fish diseases under the aquarium forum tab. There you can see photos of dropsy to compare with what you’re seeing. Keep us posted ok? Thoughts are with you.

5. OP
    OP
    L

I've looked up pictures but he isn't as bloated. But the scales are a little raised off his body. My LFS is closed for the weekend but I'll just take Monday morning off work to get the medicine.

Should I move him until then? There are 8 neon tetras in the tank with him and I'm not sure what to do with them

Should I move him to a quarantine tank for the meanwhile? He isn't as extremely bloated as some of the pictures I've seen of dropsy but his scales are a tiny bit raised of his body and I don't want to wait for it to get worse.
    There are some indian almond trees where I work. Would the leaves help in this case?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2018
  6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Blue green algae (a bacteria instead of an algae) points towards an inbalance in your tank(water) probably causing healthissues as well.

7. Gypsy13

This is what I was going to point out. With the blue green algae you’ve definitely got some environment issues. Please check your water parameters. You don’t have scaleless fish right? Because you can add salt to help until you can get the Kanaplex. Nothing with iodine. Epsom salt works well with dropsy. Improves gill function and digestion.
    If nothing else do a partial water change.

Oh and be careful of the salt with live plants. Don’t overdose. I’ve never had good luck with salt baths. Seems it stresses the fish more to keep moving it. I just add it straight to my water. Please post your parameters. Maybe we can get a better idea what’s going on in there.

8. OP
    OP
    L

Ammonia and nitrite are at 0 when I checked a couple of weeks ago. I never got a nitrate test because I kept being told it was pointless to have by people around me. I'll try and get one after the weekend.

The guy who gave me the tank said that my light levels are too high, hence the blue green algae issues but I'll check the parameters today to see what it's at

My entire tank is planted with live plants D: I have no scaless fish, just the neon tetras and Poseidon. Do I add the epsom salt to the tank as a whole? Because the link that was given earlier said to have the bath as a separate

9. DoubleDutch

There is more to waterquality / balance than ammonia / nitrites Lucine.
    When these bacteria occure in one of my tanks I know one thing : there is an unbalance (in waterflow, ferts, light, pollution, etc....).

This is not (only) caused by lighting-issues

10. OP
    OP
    L

Could root tabs cause it? I put a couple in a while ago because of the plants

I just put him in his first epsom salt bath. He seemed fine with it and continued swimming around in the net until it was time to move him back.

I'm sorry if I come across inexperienced. I'm still new to this hobby and I thought I researched everything I could but it's clear I didn't

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2018
  11. Milliemae124

Milliemae124 Valued Member Member

Don’t worry it’s better if you have researched a bit rather than nothing at all :)

12. DoubleDutch

Quite difficult to explain. As said these bacteria jump in when there is an unbalance. There could be a lack of some sort of fert. If you add other ones the lack of that specific fert (often nitrates or phosfates) causes the added ferts can't be used properly by the plants and then the bacteria come around. Often plants don't grow well if that is the case.
    So the roottabs won't cause this directly, but secundairy it is defininitely possible.

Hoping this makes a bit sense explained in "DoubleDutch" English ! I tried hahaha.

13. OP
    OP
    L

I'm going to do a 75% water change in the morning and I might quarantine Poseidon just in case. I just worry because every time he's in the 'naughty tank', he gets really depressed

14. Gypsy13

There’s so much info on so many topics. I know goldfish and danios. Dealt with them for over forty years. But I can bet you I don’t know everything about them. One thing I’m sure of, aquarium life will throw you curve balls Willy nilly. Daddy always said “only stupid question is one that is unasked”. I believe that.

15. OP
    OP
    L

Update: I've done a 75% water change and given him his second salt bath. He still isn't behaving out of the ordinary. I'm also not entirely sure if he's beginning to bloat or he's just being fat. Should I reduce his food?

16. Gypsy13

Give him frozen green peas for a while. I put some in a bowl, add water and let them thaw then peel. That’s what I’ll be doing in just a few minutes. For your bb, just hold one in your hand under water till you can peel. You may have to cut it up depending on how big his mouth is. They do sell pea fish food and spirulina. Never used that plain though. Just the peas. Works great for dropsy or fat.
    Do you have a close up pic?

17. OP
    OP
    L

I think my parents have a pea plant growing in their garden. Otherwise, it's another thing to add to the shopping list. I'm still looking for a place that sells Kanaplex since the only online retailer that has them in my country is selling them for 270. I'm going to try and hit all the stores in town to see if anyone sells medication.

It's hard to get a clear pic of him from his side of his belly since his fins are always in the way

18. mg13

mg13 Well Known Member Member

You're well taken care of. Nice job. :D

19. MissRuthless

MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

What is the temp in this tank?

I would continue with periodic epsom salt baths for now, but do not add it to your tank. You definitely do need a nitrate test, and to never take any advice from whomever told you it's pointless or unnecessary again. High nitrate could be what's causing his issues. Instead of buying a singular nitrate test though, you should just spring the $20 for the API master test kit which has everything you need. Have you tested the ammonia or nitrite again yet? The readings from a few weeks ago are useless now, you should take new ones and post them. I would hold off on quarantining him if you think it's likely to increase his stress level, as he doesn't seem to be carrying something contagious. It's possible if the water isn't quite warm enough that his digestive system is backed up and causing him to bloat. Though in the long term I'd advise you to work on getting separate tanks for him and the neons, as he needs much warmer water than the neons. He won't do well long term in the temps they need, and they won't do well long term in the temps he needs.

20. OP
    OP
    L

Ammonia is at 0 and nitrite is at 0.25 before the 75% water change. I'm getting the nitrate test kit asap. I just checked the water temperature and it's at 24C. Not using a heater because I live in the same climate that the fish is native to and I'm keeping him in a room without air conditioning. There's really no extreme fluctuations in temperature here.

I might move the neons out instead and get something else for him if that's the case.

It's getting harder and harder to coax him out so I can net him to check on him. He just darts into the driftwood when he sees me coming now after the salt baths

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice