Is This Desk OK

1. hobo Member Member

Hello all I have been soaking up allot on this site and I would like to thank everyone for the wealth of information you have provided.
    I have kept fish cichlids for around 10 years before my kids were born, when they came along 3 boys I found a lack of time for fish. I came home one day after work to find the water in my aquarium milky white apparently my 3 year old dumped a glass of milk in the tank. I then decided to take a break from fish keeping.
    Now my kids are grown up youngest is eighteen I have more time to get back into the hobby.
    When I was keeping fish back in the day the internet was just a pup it is now grown up much to my delight. So now I can ask this question to the world.
    Do you think I can put a 25g on this desk it is made of maple it seems to have a lot of reinforcement I don’t really want to by a stand
    IMG_4939.jpg

IMG_4940.jpg

IMG_4941.jpg

IMG_4942.jpg

2. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

as silly as this sounds, sit on the desk and wiggle back and forth, if the desk has a lot of wobble in it I would be concerned.

3. hobo Member Member

Ok

here is a shot of the legs, Im thinking about screwing it to the wall

IMG_4948.jpg

IMG_4949.jpg

4. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I can see the legs in the first post, Im just thinking those two longer ones and the attaching method. If they don't want to move a ton then it should be good but if theres a lot of play it might not be good.

5. Lupinus Member Member

Yeah. A 25 gallon is probably going to come in somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 pounds, so it might be a lot. Jump on and do a little dance, if it holds up well I'd give it a maybe. Just keep in mind it wasn't designed to hold 250 pounds on it all day every day. I'd also be a bit concerned if the 25 gallon doesn't span the whole desk. If it sits in the middle the top will be supporting all of the weight instead of the legs so you may get bowing issues on the top.

6. hobo Member Member

sorry its a 29 Gal Typo

7. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

so closer to 300 pounds total, again gotta give that desk a good test first.

8. Lupinus Member Member

Oh.

Do a livelier dance

9. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Id say get a partner and box waltz