Is this Columnaris?

TacomaToker

Columnaris? I lost one fish to it 8 days ago. Haven’t seen any signs after treating it with Maracyn 2 but this popped up today. I have Kanaplex + Furan 2 on hand. Also have Trimethroprim since AvalancheDave has advised that Kanaplex and Furan do not work. Thanks for any and all advice
F9BC86BC-D118-4715-AC62-2517B0C99E6F.png
0369CB5B-D449-497D-A37B-34F4B595C133.png
19B59C3A-8255-412A-89D2-D4E4CCFC8ACE.png

Vivo

Looks like it unwise named cotton mouth. I would QT right away. Do you have meds? If not, start with aquarium salt until you can get antibiotics like API erythromycin. There is a lot of info out there on how to treat. I recently treated a neon with salt first (I didn't have medication), then I read somewhere to try Kanaplex so I did that and it shrunk almost all the way, but then I read erythromycin so I just finished that and it's gone. Key is QT now and water changes. Let me know. If it is fuzzy it may be fungus. I can't tell from the pic.

TacomaToker

Looks like it unwise named cotton mouth. I would QT right away. Do you have meds? If not, start with aquarium salt until you can get antibiotics like API erythromycin. There is a lot of info out there on how to treat. I recently treated a neon with salt first (I didn't have medication), then I read somewhere to try Kanaplex so I did that and it shrunk almost all the way, but then I read erythromycin so I just finished that and it's gone. Key is QT now and water changes. Let me know. If it is fuzzy it may be fungus. I can't tell from the pic.

read the post, already listed my meds. Erithromycin will not do anything if it’s Columnaris.

Vivo

read the post, already listed my meds. Erithromycin will not do anything if it’s Columnaris.
That's what I read in another thread, yet, I've read it helps. It seems to have totally gotten rid of the cotton mouth on my neon, but it is possible it was disappearing anyway. So much contradictory info out there, it's really frustrating. .

TacomaToker

That's what I read in another thread, yet, I've read it helps. It seems to have totally gotten rid of the cotton mouth on my neon, but it is possible it was disappearing anyway. So much contradictory info out there, it's really frustrating. .

Theres definitely contradicting information, but Columnaris is definitely gram negative and Erithromycin treats gram positive bacteria. I have Erithromycin on hand but the meds I have to treat Columnaris are as listed in the post. Here’s a pic of the tetra now in QT, I don’t see the white in his mouth anymore.

A4D6A1D8-0CB5-4D0A-BAE3-1FE47B542C07.jpeg

Vivo

Thanks for not yelling at me. I see a little white... could it be that it fell off? Maybe fungus? Do you have a magnifying glass?

TacomaToker

Thanks for not yelling at me. I see a little white... could it be that it fell off? Maybe fungus? Do you have a magnifying glass?

Well it fell off in the original tank then. I guess that means its not Columnaris? I'm in the middle of treating the tank for tapeworms with Levamisole for another 24 hours. I can't really tilt full 180 and dose for fungus or bacteria. Kind of in a pickle.. unless someone advises something else I will probably follow through with the Levamisole and watch for more symptoms.

Vivo

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

TacomaToker

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

That white stuff never came back. All fish are doing good today. It was possibly a piece of zucchini or mulm the tetra stuffed in their mouth. Honestly don't know.

BettasAreSuperior

Sorry if I am late. I don't think that is anything tbh. It looks like it is just his natural white marking on top of his mouth. Just monitor closely.

TacomaToker

Sorry if I am late. I don't think that is anything tbh. It looks like it is just his natural white marking on top of his mouth. Just monitor closely.

It definitely wasn’t normal. He was gasping and hiding and it was completely clogging his mouth. It could be something he was passing since they are being treated for tapeworms. Could have been a fungus growth, or could have been something he picked up off the bottom of the tank.

BettasAreSuperior

It definitely wasn’t normal. He was gasping and hiding and it was completely clogging his mouth. It could be something he was passing since they are being treated for tapeworms. Could have been a fungus growth, or could have been something he picked up off the bottom of the tank.
Ohhh, okay, IDK hopefully someone else can jump on.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BestFishTankGuy
Replies
Views
AvalancheDave
Replies
Views
betta06
Replies