Is this columnaris? Disinfect tank with melafix?

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I lost 4 rummuynose tetras since yesterday and a DG last week. My water chemistry is good amm 0, nitrites 0 nitrates 15. I managed to take a picture of a rummynose. You can see that it developed some white patches under the skin and on the dorsal fin and died during the night. Four more had the same symptoms. After some research I concluded that it's columnaris but I didn't treat cause I am afraid I will lose my BB and live plants. Also all other fish look 100% healthy (8 harlequin rasboras, 4 cories, 1 molly). I did a 1/3 pwc and added melafix. I set up a quarantine tank in the morning with water from the main tank and some filter media and moved all rummys there. I treated with sera omnipur which says treats columnaris and added some melafix. In a matter of few hours the 3 rummynose died and now only one is alive. I don't think it will survive but my main concern is:

Will melafix kill the parasite in my main tank? Are my other fish in danger?

Attachments

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Melafix will not stop columnaris, which it does sound like it was. I have never heard of sera omnipur, but that makes sense since I'm not from where you are. Is that medication for gram-negative bacteria? If not, it's useless for columnaris. If you can order kanamycin or furan-2, do so. If not, you can combat it with hydrogen peroxide baths but baths are tricky to pull off without hurting your fish, besides the extra stress involved in catching them twice a day for the bath. It is very very contagious so it may pop up in your other fish at any time; treating the tank is the best idea. I don't believe either of the medications I mentioned will hurt your BB, but you might keep a bottle of TSS handy in case it does.

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Eienna, sera is a german brand very popular in europe. Here I can find products from JBL, Tetra, Sera, Waterlife and some of Seachem. If you know any product from these brands it would be helpful as I really don't think I can find what you suggested here. (except maybe from hydrogen peroxide)
The thing is am not asking if melafix will cure columnaris.
I removed all the diseased fish from the tank (for some reason thet were only the rummynose tetra) and the other look perfectly nomal. What I am asking is whether Melafix will disinfect the tank so that the columnaris bacteria will no spread to my healthy fish. It is more like treating the tank, there are not sick fish in there.

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Probably not, as I do not believe melafix is effective against the columnaris bacteria.

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmm... I see. I am not sure it is columnaris, though. It's been a few days and all my fish are fine. Even one tetra survived in my quarantine tank and I will be adding it back in the main tank if it will survive until Friday. If no other death occurs for 1-2 weeks should I assume it is safe? If not I will order something from ebay, Pimafix, furan2 or something but it will need at least 2 weeks till i got it cause I am in the army and I am away of home 4 days a week.

Magoo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hello
With my experience of columnaris it is a very fast acting disease and spreads like wildfire so if your other fish sent showing signs of illness now there's a strong chance they may well be ok.

As Eienna said melafix is not strong enough to do anything for it and is generally used to aid fin regrowth pimafix is the one that is more effective against fungal infections but again pretty useless against columnaris.

I'm sorry you lost some fish but happy that your others are doing ok

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom