Is This Colour Common In A Swordtail?

Darci

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I have a question regarding my male Swordtail.

I found this little guy as a baby swimming (more so hiding) in a Gourami tank at the Aquarium store. The shop gave him to me for free as he had accidentally slipped in the tank somehow. At that point he could of turned into a Platy, but eventually he grew out his long tail. He was originally just fully black, however since growing he now has speckles of gold/blue/green throughout his scales. A white stripe runs from his mouth under his belly. Today I have noticed that his under belly fins are now framed in light blue. I think he is quite beautiful.

My question is - is this colour quite common in ST's? I went to the store to find him a lady friend but saw no colours of his sort. I also noticed that his elongated fin is significantly shorter than the other males in the store (unless it is still growing - hes about 6 months old). I also heard that ST's can breed with Platy's? Not sure if he is a mix.

I absolutely adore him as he's my favourite fish.

fish 1.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help!

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's a gorgeous color! I don't really have answers since I don't have experience with swordtails, but there's a lot of variety in platies, mollies, and swordtails, especially with interbreeding/crossing. Sometimes stores get "assorted" or "mutt" livebearers that don't have a particular lineage, pattern, color, variety, whatever.
Hopefully someone can come along and enlighten us both

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
No clue for an answer but he is absolutely beautiful!!! His little white nose reminds me of a little tuxedo kitten

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Black is common but often can have issue.
One is Melanoma ..Too much of whatever makes the dark can bring out the melanoma just like in people .
Several colleges in the US use swordtails to study melanoma especially blacks .
He is a good looking fish !
The metallic is sheen is what makes him common .Without metallic is pretty uncommon and hard to preserve .
I have Jet Black swords that have recently been renamed [popular name ] black alphas ,as they lack the metallic sheen ..
My blacks ;
XQ4DpNwl.jpg

Welcome !

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The sword will continue to grow ..Maybe past 1 year old ..Some swords due to lineage grow longer swords then others.
Important on black swordtails is clear fins ..When fins are black most are 1 step away from melanoma ..

Loachlover357

Valued Member
Reaction score
Black is common but often can have issue.
One is Melanoma ..Too much of whatever makes the dark can bring out the melanoma just like in people .
Several colleges in the US use swordtails to study melanoma especially blacks .
He is a good looking fish !
The metallic is sheen is what makes him common .Without metallic is pretty uncommon and hard to preserve .
I have Jet Black swords that have recently been renamed [popular name ] black alphas ,as they lack the metallic sheen ..
My blacks ;
XQ4DpNwl.jpg

Welcome !
Would their mouth getting stuck open be a problem they have? Husband brought me home a female and male aweek ago today. We had never seen anything like them and their beautiful! Anyways, i noticed it the night before last which promted me to join the community. I thought maybe he swam into the side of the tank. New To Forum Injured Swordtail And General Opinions And Advice Wanted

bubblemog

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi, I have a Male swordtail who is a similar ‘sparkly’ black but he has a yellow stripe to his tail. He’s a lovely looking fish...only problem is that he’s bullying my other fish so I sadly may have to give him up. Here’s some pics.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Male swordtails can be mean towards other fish especially swords and platy ..
They are great fish but need room and cover to run and hide in ..

Dennis57

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a Mollie (female) that I had about a year. I woke up 2 days ago with her having yellow spots on her. I hear its very common between Mollies and Swords

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom