Is This Coloration Or Fin Rot

Ziggythecat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
IMG_8330.jpg

This is my new double tail red blue male Betta. He looks fairly young, and is very active. Due to my previous Betta passing due to fin rot complications, I want to play it save and ask if this is fin rot. Had him for about 5 days. Nothing is abnormal about his behavior, just wondering.

Lauren_

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm inclined to say it's just appearance, but keep an eye on it for the next few weeks and make sure to keep up with maintenance and I'm sure he'll do alright. If it does turn out to be fin rot, I'd increase water changes to every other day for a while and see if he'd fight it off on his own. If that were to not work, there's always aquarium salt treatments and if worse comes to worst, medicines that could definitely help him. I'm sure he's probably fine though!

Ziggythecat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Umm today his fins look kinda dull under a bright light should I be concerned

I’m starting to worry

Bringing this back because I have new info

I just got a new Betta from my LFS very good shape, fairly young, active. Had him for about a week and noticed his fins were starting to look a bit dull under a bright light. The only reason I’m so concerned is that my previous Betta had passed due to horrible fin rot caused by fin nipping by her old tank mates. ( separate tank now) am I just over reacting? Again...

Image1525833587.668261.jpg

Image1525833657.610636.jpg

His fins aren’t frayed, just a bit lighter than a few days ago. (Below)

IMG_8330.jpg

Tbh this picture was taken during the day without movement compared to the first pictures

DanniD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I had this happen to a betta once around the same time after I got him. I freaked out but I chalked it up to stress from acclimating to the new tank... It eventually healed and he was fine for a while. Eventually passed due to other reasons (RIP Kingsley)

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Also know that because you have a double tail, you might have more genetic issues with him. In general, all split tails have smaller swim bladders but they appear to develope more problems among that morph also.

Ziggythecat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So yesterday my male betta fins were looking a bit dull, and thin? I was wondering if it was fin rot and I’m really scared that it is.

This is before

And this is today

I’m most concerned about the nick in his dorsal fin in the front. His fins looked fine when I got him. I just did a 50% today

I know the pictures are bad so I’ll try to get some better ones.

Sorry
Image1525909141.969319.jpg

This is a much better photo

Image1525909536.530666.jpg

His dorsal is getting a tini bit straggly and so is his bottom(?) fins.

Image1525909601.100023.jpg

Image1525909744.221413.jpg

I know it’s hard to see but it is there.

And the liquid test kits are so expensive I can’t do it at the moment.

Ph is 7.6

And I use prime for all my water changes.

He is very active and happy, but his fins just look kinda off...

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
His fins look fine, just make sure nothing in the tank is sharp (including things like the filter and gravel) if he ended up with a tear. Fin rot itself doesn't usually kill fish.

Ziggythecat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks I made especially sure that nothing could harm his fins in the tank, any other reasons for frayed edges? It just gave me a scare that’s all..

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sometimes if they're stressed they can nip their fins in an attempt to swim better. Those bulky frail things don't really move through the water too well. Mine has been doing it since he got his new filter.

Lauren_

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
He is very active and happy, but his fins just look kinda off...
Hmm, it does look like it could be potentially be fin rot developing there. I wouldn't panic though, just try to increase the rate of your water changes. Clean water is the best cure for fin rot, since sometimes less-than-optimal water quality, or pet store conditions are what cause it. If it does worsen, or doesn't seem to improve, you have a number of options:

- You can try giving your betta a little bath in aquarium salt. Do NOT use table salt, though. Get a separate container and fill it up with water that matches the temperature of that in the tank. Dechlorinate it and at 1 TSP of salt per gallon. Let the salt completely dissolve before adding your fish. I'd let them bathe in there for about 15-20 minutes and then remove them and add them back to their original tank. Do this once a day for a week, and no more. You don't want to stress their kidneys. If you don't see any improvement, you can hesitantly move into medication.

- I'd personally recommend using Kanaplex to treat fin rot. As fin rot is usually caused by gram-negative bacteria, Kanaplex would be a good choice. Some recommend treating with a medication like Kanaplex and a medication that treats gram-positive at the same time, but the idea of medicating with two at the same time always made me a little nervous, so I can't give too much input on that method as I've never done it.

- Perhaps the most dramatic method I've heard of, but never dared attempt, was swapping the infected area of the fins with hydrogen peroxide. You are supposed to net the fish and try to keep its head in the water so it won't panic and thrash around, and then once it's still, get a cotton swab with peroxide on it and swab the worst areas. I believe this is done once daily, but I don't know for sure. If you want to try this method, I highly suggest doing your research as I think it's the most risky of the options. Whatever you do, do NOT get the swab anywhere near the fish's head or gills. That could kill it, from what I've read.

As far as tackling the fin rot goes, I'd try the AQ salt method first and go down the ladder from there. Just be patient with the treatment and be sure to give your little guy breaks in between treatments to let him clear out his system a little. Treating a fish for diseases can be a little stressful for them, so be sure to take that into account. Some things like indian almond leaves, and giving them little hides to go into when they're feeling a little nervous are sure to work wonders for them. I hope this helps! Sorry for the long post.

Just remember: If it is fin rot, it's in the very mild stages right now! Be sure to continue those frequent, partial water changes and if that doesn't work, try the salt and go from there! Be sure to keep me posted!

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’m sorry but no, please do no use aquarium salt. Everyone recommends it for everything, but 99.99999% of the time it is unnecessary. It doesn’t help with fin rot, contrary to popular belief. IMO it worsens it. Salt strips fish of their slime coat, making them more prone to injuries such as tearing their fins.

Water changes are the best thing for fin rot, not salt or medication. BUT fortunately I’m nearly positive your fish doesn’t have it, that just looks like coloration to me. If only parts of his fin were black like that I would be concerneced, but it’s all of his fins and it’s pretty evenly distributed; so IMO it’s just coloration.

Lauren_

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’m sorry but no, please do no use aquarium salt. Everyone recommends it for everything, but 99.99999% of the time it is unnecessary. It doesn’t help with fin rot, contrary to popular belief. IMO it worsens it. Salt strips fish of their slime coat, making them more prone to injuries such as tearing their fins.

Water changes are the best thing for fin rot, not salt or medication. BUT fortunately I’m nearly positive your fish doesn’t have it, that just looks like coloration to me. If only parts of his fin were black like that I would be concerneced, but it’s all of his fins and it’s pretty evenly distributed; so IMO it’s just coloration.
Really? It seemed like when I used it in conjunction with Stress Coat+ it did wonders! Perhaps it was just luck ..? I'll be sure to refrain from using it in the future then.

Perhaps it's a bit subtle, but I do notice a difference between the first picture on one of the more recent ones. I feel like something is starting, but it's definitely subtle. I don't think all the black is fin rot no, but there's definitely some subtle receding going on when you compare them side-by-side.

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Really? It seemed like when I used it in conjunction with Stress Coat+ it did wonders! Perhaps it was just luck ..? I'll be sure to refrain from using it in the future then.
People recommend it a lot because it was really the only “medication” people knew to use. It would be used for almost everything back in the day before more effective treatments were developed. It’s alright to use it, I don’t see it doing irreversible harm, but I just haven’t seen it do much good. I used it when I first started and my betta had fin rot, but it didn’t do much for him. Water changes are the best cure

So with all of that being that, I can’t see the receding of the fins that was mentioned, but I have poor eye sight. Either way, clean water clean water clean water!!! Best cure!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom