Experience
5 years
I have been cycling for ten days now. I test every day
ammonia=0.25
no3=5.0
no2=0.1
alk=7 drops according to chart its = to 2.8
ph=8.6

my concern is the alk and ph they were both fine now alk is to low and ph is to high. My tank will be a reef/fish tank. I am using all r/o water from my LFS. I have a 65gl tank with 60lb of live rock and I have live sand.

should I be concerned about the alk and ph at this time??

Last edited:

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't worry about it, if the tank is still empty especially. Is the 2.8 meq/l or dkh? If it's meg/l than it fine. It's close to the lower side of spec anyway.

8.6 ph IMO is nothing to worry about either.

If your going to keep corals your going to want to 2 part dose IMO. This will help to stablize your ph/alk. But if I was you I wouldn't worry about it for now.

Last edited:

pep372

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
what is 2 part dose?? Yes I will be keeping corals and fish. it is 2.8 meq. I plan on this being a reef tank that is what it is designed for its a red sea max 250.. but I have never done this before. only fresh water and then I raised apple snails.

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
2 part dosing is adding calcium (that your reef uses) and alk (needed due to dosing cal.-lowers it)

Your water changes may keep up with it's useage, but if not you really need to start adding trace elements that your tank is using.

It can be done by hand or with pumps. You could even go the calcium reactor route vs 2 part. I 2 part by hand. I may go pumps in the near future.

Since I've been 2 part dosing my ph and alk has been 8.3 and 9 dkh.

It's nothing I would worry about right now if I was you. You'll have plenty of time to reseach it. I didn't even start dosing until I have my tank going for 6 weeks, with no ill effects. But since I've been dosing everything in my tank seems to be doing even better.

Before you dose you need to get the test kits to know where your levels are at.

pep372

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have not even tested calcium yet or mag. I figure once it has cycled I will start doing all of that. I am use to calcium in fresh water tanks since I raised apple snails. is it similar in sw tanks

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom