Is This Calcium Supplement Safe For Snails?

Megaanemp
Hello,

I’m making some snello to supplement a Nerite with a pitted shell. This is the only calcium supplement without vitamin D that I could find.
Does anyone know if this is safe to use?

Also, if anyone has made snello that their Nerite snails would eat, what ingredients did you use? They’re such picky little guys.

bcsay720
Not sure. I stuck an entire cuttlebone chunk in my tank for a while when my nerite was rebuilding his shell. He never touched it, but it just being in the water helped him out. There's only a little chunk in there now because it wouldn't sink as the big piece, but I'll need to add another piece because the new part of the shell chipped off again. I'm assuming that when supplements are consumed, they work faster, so I'm interested to see the responses here.

Megaanemp
bcsay720 said:
Not sure. I stuck an entire cuttlebone chunk in my tank for a while when my nerite was rebuilding his shell. He never touched it, but it just being in the water helped him out. There's only a little chunk in there now because it wouldn't sink as the big piece, but I'll need to add another piece because the new part of the shell chipped off again. I'm assuming that when supplements are consumed, they work faster, so I'm interested to see the responses here.
Thanks for the reply,

Out of curiosity, do you have quite soft water? I have very soft water, that’s why I haven’t added a cuttlefish bone yet becuse I’m worried about it causing a pH spike. I do have some crushed coral in the filter.

bcsay720
I'm on the low end of the recommended gH and kH, so it's a bit soft. I believe the water softened because I started using a bit of botanicals (not a lot. My tank is fully planted). It was fine for a few months, but I noticed a small chip a few weeks back. My pH test got wonky about a month before then, so I didn't test for pH, but no one seemed bothered. My stocking is my one nerite, bladder snails, a betta, and a few cories, and no one reacted differently when the big chunk was in the tank.

Latest threads

Top Bottom