Is this brown stuff algea??

Greener099

Hello I'm in the process of a fishless cycle and I've woken up this morning with a load of brown stuff over my rock, ornaments and sand any ideas why this would be happening? There's also a fair bit of algae starting to show. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210626_133822.jpg
    IMG_20210626_133822.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 30

carsonsgjs

Itll be diatoms - not an algae as such. Typical for newly established tanks and should go on its own once the tank works out a bit of balance. You can clean it off fairly easily though it it bothers you.

Upvote 0

Greener099

Itll be diatoms - not an algae as such. Typical for newly established tanks and should go on its own once the tank works out a bit of balance. You can clean it off fairly easily though it it bothers you.
If I clean it off it wont disrupt the cycle process?

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

It shouldnt do, but id be careful when cleaning your tank whilst it is still cycling. I wouldnt overdo it, basically. It looks unsightly i know but it should go eventually.

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Yes diatoms. When your cycle is done add some nerite snails. They’ll eat it.
Welcome to fishlore!

Upvote 0

MasterPython

Ramshorn snails were the key to getting algea under control. I had nerites and they can't climb many plants. So even after I killed the cyanobacteria with erythromiacin and cut back on light nothing was cleaning plants until I added 10+ ramshorn snails. I did a little population control in the begining by removing eggs after the initial feeding frenzy. I don't think I will do a tank without them.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Thehoodguy8
  • Algae
Replies
Views
AggressiveAquatics
Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Curarx