Is this brown algae?

1. gorkhali101 Initiate Member

Hi,

Recently I've noticed this brown/dark yellow spots on the glass, bottom of aquarium and on the leaf of plotted plant. I rubbed it off some times ago and it's back again.

My guess is it's a brown algae..could you guys have a look?

Size: 20 gal
    Time: Having for over 3 months
    Fish: I've 2 fish and 2 fries and do bi-weekly water change (30%).
    Location: My aquarium is near the window and it gets direct sunlight for couple of hours daily.

at bottom.jpg in plant.jpg auarium near window.jpg at side.jpg

2. Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

That does look like diatoms.

They're unsightly in some situations, but don't actually hurt anything. They just have the right conditions, and grow.

They are fantastically beautiful when viewed under a microscope. But they look pretty drab without magnification, unfortunately.

3. gorkhali101 Initiate Member

Thank you.

To prevent further growing of algae, I'll thinking of
    - minimizing sunlight exposure to the tank.
    - getting algae eaters.(which one would be good for diatoms?)

Would these two changes be good enough?

4. Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

Everyone says that diatoms will flourish when you set up a new tank, and then die off on their own.

But in all of our aquariums, the diatoms never do stop growing. I don't mind them, myself, so I haven't tried to get rid of them.

I figure if they're doing well in there, then they're eating something that probably needs to be eaten!

But we have dark colored sand or gravel, and where they cover some of the crude hiding places (PVC pipe) we have, I think they actually make them look better (more natural).

So if your tank is newly set up, you may find that they just go away on their own after things get well established.

But if your water and conditions are like ours, they may never go away, and then you may want to look into doing something to reduce silicates in your water.

But there are better people on here to advise on that. I don't know too much about killing the stuff because I don't really mind it, so I've never tried to eradicate it.