Is this brown algae?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by bettamars, Jul 6, 2015.

1. bettamars

bettamars Valued Member Member

This brown stuff was on the suction cups of my heater and looked gross, so while doing my water change today, I took them out and cleaned them, but before I did, I took pictures to see if anyone could help me identify this. It wasn't anywhere else but the suction cups.

I also have a lot of biofilm flying around my tank since I tried to clean the pieces off my filter intake, but when the water came out, it all ended up back in the aquarium to float around until it got stuck on the filter intake again. Any ideas how to fix this issue too? My lights are on 8 hours a day (they're not very good lights, just a starter kit hood). The temp is about 77-78 degrees and I only have fake plants at the moment. The only inhabitants are 4 harlequin rasboras right now. I'm getting the other 4 today hopefully.

These are both of the suction cups:

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436220024.440548.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436220036.988915.jpg

2. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

3. OP
    OP
    bettamars

bettamars Valued Member Member

Thanks for the links! I don't have a well, I use tap water. I live in the Appleton area, so we get our water from lake Winnebago and it goes through our local water treatment plant :) I wonder if my tap just has a lot of phosphates? Unless the diatoms start to get everywhere, I probably won't worry about getting rid of it via chemicals since I'm fine with just cleaning off the suction cups every once in a while :p

4. Aloeb1

Aloeb1 Valued Member Member

I usually just wipe algae off with my finger

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice