Is this breeding behaviour?

devsi
Is this breeding behaviour? I believe we’ve seen Cory eggs before, but I think they keep getting eaten.

I’m considering taking a pair out, putting them in my spare 60L to hopefully breed them, but have no idea who is a male and who is a female so if this is mating behaviour at least I know these would be a good match haha.

A third Cory decided to photo bomb, but the two are always together.

Advertisement
MacZ
It does look like mating behaviour, but the footage is somewhat inconclusive.

Don't separate a pair, most Corydoras spawn in groups with one female being accompanied by 2, 3 or more males.

Advertisement
devsi
Ah ok! Thank you!

Is it simple enough to move 5/6 Corys into a substrate-less breeding tank (say 60L) and let them do their thing?

Or are there certain things they require to promote the breeding process (hiding spots / sand substrate etc)?

MacZ
Or are there certain things they require to promote the breeding process (hiding spots / sand substrate etc)?
You are aware that sufficient cover and sand substrate are generally necessary for the wellbeing of Corydoras. And wellbeing is prerequisite for breeding. So why do you suspect a breeding tank doesn't need either? ;)

devsi
Mostly because it would just be a breeding tank, and looking online it says to keep the tank minimal.

Flyfisha
Hey devsi
If you want to breed corydoras you can anyway you want.
Getting the fry is just the beginning.
A link to one of my local club members channels.

In an idea world you would have multiple cultures of live foods to feed the fry. In reality one or two corydoras young will just turn up in an established community tank without any help.

Unless you let the corydoras do their thing in the community tank and let the fry take their chances it’s a lot of work to try and raise a few dozen fry in a separate tank.

There are hundreds of theories on triggering spawning in corydoras.

In general two that are universal . A diet of good quality food for the adults.
And a cold water change.

The dance in the video is not complete.

devsi
Hey devsi
If you want to breed corydoras you can anyway you want.
Getting the fry is just the beginning.
A link to one of my local club members channels.

In an idea world you would have multiple cultures of live foods to feed the fry. In reality one or two corydoras young will just turn up in an established community tank without any help.

Unless you let the corydoras do their thing in the community tank and let the fry take their chances it’s a lot of work to try and raise a few dozen fry in a separate tank.

There are hundreds of theories on triggering spawning in corydoras.

In general two that are universal . A diet of good quality food for the adults.
And a cold water change.

The dance in the video is not complete.

Thanks FlyFisha :) very informative and helpful, as always

MacZ
Mostly because it would just be a breeding tank, and looking online it says to keep the tank minimal.
Well, a thin layer of sand, a piece of driftwood big enough for the fish to find cover underneath and some floating plants are minimal in my book. ;)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
Wiss1
Replies
Views
Platylover
Replies
Views