Is This Blue Green Algae?

LordGrim

Reaction score
Hi all,
I noticed my shrimp tank had a patch of algae for close to 2 weeks.
May i know is this blue green algae? (photo)
To be honest, i don't really think it look bad, it kind of cover the gap between 2 lava rocks, and it didn't seem to spread or expand. (It might be because i had a timer on my lights 2weeks ago and the cutting down of tank lights duration)
I am asking to see how should i get rid of them if they are bad for my shrimps and otos in tank.
Thanks~

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think the pictured algae is a type of harmless green filiment algae, not Cyanobacteria / Blue Green algae.
Blue Green algae is more or less a smooth layer of slimey green goo.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with @DoubleDutch. If its just on your hardscape i would give it a clean while running it under the tap to wash any particles away.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It does kind of look bacteria-ish or like it weighing down on the moss like a sheet. It's not the typical color for cyano, but it can be many colors. If you can remove the driftwood and rinse it and get rid of it, that would be best just in case.

LordGrim

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice.
I will try to clear all of them manually during WC.

altwitch

Reaction score
If it BG algae, which it doesn't look like to me having just had some, one thing to look into is your lighting. Mine cropped up because my lighting regimen which worked like a champ for my deeper tanks was generating too much light for my more shallow 10g QT tank. I solved it simply by reducing light intensity and creating 2x lighting periods with darkness in between. The plants 're-start' photosynthesis quickly while the algae takes a longer period of time to warm back up so that gave the plants a competitive advantage and helped starve the algae. Since my QT lives under my main tank stand it was easy to curb ambient light; if not you can always shroud the tank with a couple of large towels or the like.

If not BG algae, still works on other types as well so hope that's good hip-pocket info for the future. If I'm wrong it may be helpful now.

LordGrim

Reaction score
I just did a 15-20% WC, manage to clear all the BG algae i see. I didn't do a big WC since my shrimp don't like them.
While clearing them, I am confident to say those are BG algae. Theres slight blueish colour.
My lights are already set having a break in between (light on 12pm - 4pm & 8pm -11pm) 2 weeks ago, i guess thats what stop or slow down the BG algae growth.
I might cut down another hour or 30mins of light since MC is the only plant in my tank that required more light. (They are growing slow without CO2)
I am thinking of adding more hornwort and moss to fight for nutrients in tank to prevent the algae growth. If the BG algae get out of control i will do a 3-4 days blackout.
Thanks

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Someone here (maybe it was @Feohw) posted a link to and article on cyano for me. Of course, I can't find it now.... It said cyano likes strong intermittent light. So in theory, a split photoperiod wouldn't help. I have added a split photoperiod in a lot of my tanks now, it does helps with algae I'd say.

Keeping on top of manual removal is the key for me. That and reducing organic matter by siphoning the substrate and keeping filter media rinsed clean because changing water when your filter is dirty won't do any good. I do find a canopy of water lettuce really helps though, so maybe the hornwort would work too.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Someone here (maybe it was @Feohw) posted a link to and article on cyano for me. Of course, I can't find it now.... It said cyano likes strong intermittent light. So in theory, a split photoperiod wouldn't help. I have added a split photoperiod in a lot of my tanks now, it does helps with algae I'd say.

Keeping on top of manual removal is the key for me. That and reducing organic matter by siphoning the substrate and keeping filter media rinsed clean because changing water when your filter is dirty won't do any good. I do find a canopy of water lettuce really helps though, so maybe the hornwort would work too.
I believe it said that it has adapted to deal with low light by floating to the surface when light is low in order to get as much as possible. These are the links I gave, not sure which is the one you're referring to:

Blue-green algae - Goulburn Murray Water
http://www.elaguapotable.com/Algas verde .Cianobacterias.htm

Either of these may be the quotes?
"They stay well below the surface most of the time, only rising to the surface in the middle of the day to get sunlight for food and growth."
"The most important of these are light, phosphorus and nitrogen, which cyanobacteria need in order to survive. As the availability of these elements can change quickly with the time of day and the weather, most cyanobacteria have evolved to be able to control their buoyancy."

Generally cyano needs stagnant/slow water flow water to thrive as well as nutrients. How is your flow? Cyano grew in my tank when my filters mechanism broke and I couldn't open it. So flow began to decrease and dirt began to build up in the filter. I'd deal with whichever problem you have that has caused the cyano. I have my lights on for longer than most and I didn't have problems with cyano until my filter broke. Brief periods of low to no light shouldn't necessarily do too much to stop it with how it has adapted to get as much light as possible.

LordGrim

Reaction score
Its the 2nd day after my WC, currently none BG algae can be spot. Hopefully it continue.
The place where the BG grew had low flow, thats might be 1 of the reason as mention by Feohw.
This weekend i will visit the LFS to get some plants to fight for nutrients in tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom