Is This Black Moscow Guppy, Crooked/wrong Spine?

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by FishNL, Jun 20, 2018.

1. FishNL

FishNL New Member Member

Hello all,

I recently bought an A+ grade BLUE moscow guppy and the shop I bought it from gave me this BLACK male moscow guppy as a free present. Now I am not sure if I just got it for free because the guppy is crooked. His body from head to tail is not strait but more a boomerang shape, or a C-shape His respiration is also very fast, faster than other guppies.

The video:

In the meantime this (crooked) black male moscow guppy has exclusive bred with a black female moscow guppy and together they have 2 batches over 30 fry. The female guppy mother is in excellent shape and I am even thinking of using her to crossbreed with my blue moscow guppy line.

My questions:

1) how long does it take before the sperm from the black male moscow guppy is out of the system of the black female moscow guppy.
    2) if it were to take too long and I introduced a blue male moscow guppy today, would the next batch, or the batch after already have some mixed blue/black guppies ?
    3) what to do with the 30 fry that I already have from the black male and female moscow guppy if the black male really is crooked? Sure even the young females would not be good to breed with any other blue guppies because they will have the crooked characteristic in their dna from their father correct?

Those are my questions for now.

Thanks in advance!!

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

1) After complete separation, 1 year.

2) No.

3) See how they turn out, it may/may not be a genetic thing. If it is then it will be too late to cull, so you could sell them to people who don't wish to breed them.

3. OP
    OP
    FishNL

FishNL New Member Member

So is there actually something wrong with the respiration and/or spine with the black male?

Also, even if the black female would be placed together with the blue male starting today, they will not produce any mixed offspring until around 1 year from now?

4. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

There wouldn't be mixed fry.

5. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

I would cull them all. Most people breed guppies whether they intend to or not, and they will end up giving them to their LFS where they will be sold. You don’t want to risk creating a line of crooked guppies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice