Is this black beard algae?

Davidh9054

I was cleaning my tank yesterday and I have some rotala floating on the top and I noticed some black fuzz hair type stuff on almost all the rotala floating. On the rotala I have planted in the substrate I don’t see anything like that just the ones I have floating. I tried taking it off the plant and it won’t come off.
53C93DE2-0191-46E7-9669-973DA77D1D6B.jpeg

Stripedbass

My guess would be yes. It will kill your plants and spread fast. I use excel in a eye dropper and drop it directly on the BBA and it disappears pretty quickly. I attached before and after pictures after 4 or 5 treatments.

Attachments

• DAD81354-840A-4B5F-9868-BA887DB79388.jpeg
    DAD81354-840A-4B5F-9868-BA887DB79388.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 8
  • BD213DCA-720F-4909-8670-D4EAF260A1B6.jpeg
    BD213DCA-720F-4909-8670-D4EAF260A1B6.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 10

Davidh9054

My guess would be yes. It will kill your plants and spread fast. I use excel in a eye dropper and drop it directly on the BBA and it disappears pretty quickly. I attached before and after pictures after 4 or 5 treatments.
Ok thanks I was getting ready to toss the plants already. Luckily it’s only on the rotala, I have some frogbit and water wisteria floating as well.

Stripedbass

Ok thanks I was getting ready to toss the plants already. Luckily it’s only on the rotala, I have some frogbit and water wisteria floating as well.
There’s a good chance it will spread. Excel will actually boost your plants a little too.

Davidh9054

There’s a good chance it will spread. Excel will actually boost your plants a little too.
That’s just the flourish excel you mean?

Fisch

As long as they are floating, you could pour some excel into a plastic and immerse the plant, swish it through the liquid. Do not let it sit, it just needs contact. I then drop the plant back into the tank. It works pretty well and only needs one treatment.

jmaldo

You may also try Hydrogen Peroxide, I spot treat with a spray bottle or a pipette. If it gets too bad then may need to remove and soak for around 3 mins or so.

Good Luck!

Davidh9054

You may also try Hydrogen Peroxide, I spot treat with a spray bottle or a pipette. If it gets too bad then may need to remove and soak for around 3 mins or so.

Good Luck!
I might try the hydrogen peroxide I don’t have any of that excel stuff.

lazylathe

My Java Fern grew some amazing black beard algae, I was very impressed!
One day ago, I moved all my community fish from the 30G to the 55G, so just my beastly Tiger Barbs are in the 30G. It was pretty crowded in the 30G for a while and I overfed a few times...

I did not feed them yesterday morning due to moving them downstairs.
A day of fend for yourself in the tank is good for the fish!
I came home tonight and the BBA is almost gone!
The Tiger barbs are feasting on it and rip bits off the leaves, very cool to watch!

This was something new for me!

I do not have any algae eaters or snails in the tank, only the barbs.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PaulOB
Replies
Views
aetheli
Replies
Views
KinderScout
Replies
Views