Question Is this black beard algae?

Mindelo

Reaction score
IMG_20200629_174432_6.jpg
Is this black beard algae?
What would be the pros and cons on having it?
I ask because i've seen couple fish keepers maintain it on they're tanks (or least something very similar).

yukondog

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yes, it will spread, but with just a blob or two I kind of liked it, but it never ends that way.

OP
M

Mindelo

Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
manually remove as much of it as you can and as fast as possible it will spread relentlessly.
I don't have it on my tank, a friend gave me some plants and before gave them a bleach bath i 'saved' this one, to learn more about it.
But i found no good thing about it (at least not yet), everybody says 'get rid of it'

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Mindelo said:
I don't have it on my tank, a friend gave me some plants and before gave them a bleach bath i 'saved' this one, to learn more about it.
But i found no good thing about it (at least not yet), everybody says 'get rid of it'
definitely get rid of it unless your tank is big enough to house a couple juvenile Siamese Algae Eaters. They will make quick work of it till they get about 2-3" and realize prepared foods that you feed your fish is easier than dealing wit that stuff ;)

OP
M

Mindelo

Reaction score
How to get rid of it? (In case i came to deal with it in my tank)

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Reaction score
I have some on my driftwood that slowly grows over each week until I scrub it off during water changes. I don’t have to scrub too hard. However I did bleach the fake plant it was really growing on and I scrubbed a pagoda it was on quite thoroughly. This was a few weeks ago and knock on wood it’s not going nuts. I even od my tank with plant supplements accidentally and let it sit for days which could have caused major algae and it was okay. All I did was clean the filter sponges and turn the lights off for a few hours mid day. So not sure what worked and knock on wood it will continue to. Might not be helpful I caught it early not sure that means anything though.

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Reaction score
Ok this pic I have shows it KIND OF. It’s one I took when I took some off and left it on the tip lol. That’s what it looks like on the branches tho very short and not wild. It’s on though.
1C104D1D-6377-4C95-AD4C-68659227875B.png

OP
M

Mindelo

Reaction score
Thanks, your picture is not that clear, but i search online and found some beautiful pictures of driftwood with algaes on them (including black beard).
I guess i will not introduce it on purpose, but if by any chance i got it in my tank, i will not get rid of it all at once.
But i'll keep looking how to get rid of it, just in case

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Reaction score
Mindelo said:
Thanks, your picture is not that clear, but i search online and found some beautiful pictures of driftwood with algaes on them (including black beard).
I guess i will not introduce it on purpose, but if by any chance i got it in my tank, i will not get rid of it all at once.
But i'll keep looking how to get rid of it, just in case
Do you mind posting those pics? Bc mine isn’t clear yet perhaps it’s also such a small
Amount and perhaps I won’t keep scrubbing it off if it’s attractive!

New Threads