Is This Betta Fin Rot?? If So Please Tell Me How To Cure!! (i Really Need To Know Now)

Kaziah Carlton

Reaction score
So, I've had my betta for a while and I've noticed the ends of his find are like twisted and some are missing. Some are even longer than the others I have no clue if it's fin rot. Please help I've noticed it's gotten worse.

There's photos on my page of Larke (my betta fish)

ljg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I can see what you mean by the fins are longer on certain parts. What kind of plants do you have in the tank? How often is your tank cleaned? Have you gotten your water tested?

Kaziah Carlton

Reaction score
ljg said:
I can see what you mean by the fins are longer on certain parts. What kind of plants do you have in the tank? How often is your tank cleaned? Have you gotten your water tested?
I have plastic plants but they're smooth like and I do a 100% water change every week. I don't think I've gotten my water tested but of course I use water conditioner.

lizcateyes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is your betta a crowntail? Their fins sometime just curl like that, I've heard it can be due to age, acidic water, or bad genetics. You can try adding Indian Almond Leaves or Indian Almond Leaf extract to the water, adding the Indian Almond Leaves or using the leaf's extract to the water has helped me out with betta fin problems in the past.

It seems like you're doing frequent regular water changes, without knowing your water parameters it's hard to tell if acidic water is affecting your betta's fins, if that's the case you might need to try to get the pH of your water closer to what it should be for bettas (6.4-7).

Kaziah Carlton

Reaction score
CanadianFishFan said:
hmm could be fin clamping. Whats your water levels? When was last water change? Is there a filter and heater? Whats the size of tank?
I'm not sure about the water level. My last water change was yesterday. I do not have a filter since I do a 100% water change every week and I have to purchase a new heater. The tank is 5 gallons

lizcateyes said:
Is your betta a crowntail? Their fins sometime just curl like that, I've heard it can be due to age, acidic water, or bad genetics. You can try adding Indian Almond Leaves or Indian Almond Leaf extract to the water, adding the Indian Almond Leaves or using the leaf's extract to the water has helped me out with betta fin problems in the past.

It seems like you're doing frequent regular water changes, without knowing your water parameters it's hard to tell if acidic water is affecting your betta's fins, if that's the case you might need to try to get the pH of your water closer to what it should be for bettas (6.4-7).
Alright I'm not sure about his age either considering I got him at Wal-Mart (he was the only one left and I NEVER buy animals from Wal-Mart it was just a one time thing) but yes he is a crowntail but I'll do more research on Crowntails fins curling.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Kaziah Carlton said:
I'm not sure about the water level. My last water change was yesterday. I do not have a filter since I do a 100% water change every week and I have to purchase a new heater. The tank is 5 gallons
Big issue, You need a filter to keep it cycled! And please buy a test kit

Kaziah Carlton

Reaction score
CanadianFishFan said:
I was told buy an expert that it wasn't necessary but considering the way he looks I might just have to reconsider

CanadianFishFan said:
I was told buy an expert that it wasn't necessary but considering the way he looks I might just have to reconsider

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Kaziah Carlton said:
Who was this "expert" Ok i understand no filter ive done it before but %100 water changes is a no go on that tank! That restarts your cycle unless you have some filter media in there, even then i dont suggest it ever.

jamielands

Reaction score
I’ve seen this happen to a crowntail of mine in the past. I wonder if it isn’t just a genetic thing, his water was fine and it just happened after a while.

I’d personally get a filter, if only because a 100% change of 5 gallons sounds like more work than you need to be doing!

Kaziah Carlton

Reaction score
CanadianFishFan said:
Who was this "expert" Ok i understand no filter ive done it before but %100 water changes is a no go on that tank! That restarts your cycle unless you have some filter media in there, even then i dont suggest it ever.
He's new heater came today so I guess he doing somewhat better and I'm going to purchase him a filter soon. But what should I do about his fins? If there's anything for me to do .

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Kaziah Carlton said:
He's new heater came today so I guess he doing somewhat better and I'm going to purchase him a filter soon. But what should I do about his fins? If there's anything for me to do .
Clean water is all i can think off.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom