Is this Betta fin rot and bloating?

subchan

Is this fin rot and bloating? How to treat him?

I got this guy from someone a few weeks ago. He had bloating even when I got him. He was in a 3-gallon quarantine tank with only ~1.5 gallons of water for a while. It had a heater but no filter. So I was changing about a gallon of water every other day.

But he did not show any signs of improvement. His fins and tail started tearing into small pieces slowly. I thought it’s because of poor (unfiltered) water quality. So I put him in a breeder net hanging on my 29-gallon well-established tank a few days ago. He is still being lethargic, not swimming, lying on the floor most of the day, and now has those whitish spots on his tail as shown in the photo.

Tank water parameters: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5-10 nitrates, around 7 PH, around 75 temperature.

I have betta fix, melafix, Seachem stresscoat, and epsom salt. Are any of these helpful? How can I get this guy to full health? Thanks!

Edit: adding more photos.

Attachments

• betta-1.jpg
    betta-1.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 80
  • betta-2.jpg
    betta-2.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 0A2523FE-F637-475D-8BCF-37F498758AE9.jpeg
    0A2523FE-F637-475D-8BCF-37F498758AE9.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 78
  • 11E7B9D7-2E7E-4C0A-BA1E-727B851BC8F8.jpeg
    11E7B9D7-2E7E-4C0A-BA1E-727B851BC8F8.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 73
  • BE2DFBD6-B272-4E6D-8208-11247F31F1C6.jpeg
    BE2DFBD6-B272-4E6D-8208-11247F31F1C6.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 074DBDF0-1128-43DC-9E5A-0E8D11EE3985.jpeg
    074DBDF0-1128-43DC-9E5A-0E8D11EE3985.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 69
  • A1D71DD6-3338-43B8-AD60-3A33309999B6.jpeg
    A1D71DD6-3338-43B8-AD60-3A33309999B6.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 71
  • B1D0CAE4-A0A4-43DC-BBAA-8C2749991871.jpeg
    B1D0CAE4-A0A4-43DC-BBAA-8C2749991871.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 264B30BD-A5A2-4CE2-ABD6-908C9BEB2DED.jpeg
    264B30BD-A5A2-4CE2-ABD6-908C9BEB2DED.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 70
  • B6A5AD31-AC38-496A-B5F1-844B6639E244.jpeg
    B6A5AD31-AC38-496A-B5F1-844B6639E244.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 69

Falena

Do you have any better pictures of his tummy? In the second picture it looks more like a growth than bloat.

subchan

Do you have any better pictures of his tummy? In the second picture it looks more like a growth than bloat.

Added more photos to the original post. Please mention if more photos are needed.

Falena

Added more photos to the original post. Please mention if more photos are needed.

Aw, poor guy!
it doesn't look like a growth no, I think I was just seeing his pectoral fin, my apologies. But he doesn't look very well at all bless him. Definitely looks to have very nasty finrot and possibly a secondary bacterial infection, causing the bloat, though that doesn't look too bad just yet. I have heard bettafix and melafix isn't very good for bettas because of the oils in it coating their labyrinth organ, but I've never used it so I can neither confirm or deny, I believe it does target finrot though. You want something that targets gram negative bacteria, methylene blue has always worked well for me in cases of finrot. I personally use eSHa 2000 if that's available to you? It's quite mild and targets fungus, finrot and bacteria. Is he still eating?
*edit* how quickly are his fins deteriorating?

subchan

Aw, poor guy!
it doesn't look like a growth no, I think I was just seeing his pectoral fin, my apologies. But he doesn't look very well at all bless him. Definitely looks to have very nasty finrot and possibly a secondary bacterial infection, causing the bloat, though that doesn't look too bad just yet. I have heard bettafix and melafix isn't very good for bettas because of the oils in it coating their labyrinth organ, but I've never used it so I can neither confirm or deny, I believe it does target finrot though. You want something that targets gram negative bacteria, methylene blue has always worked well for me in cases of finrot. I personally use eSHa 2000 if that's available to you? It's quite mild and targets fungus, finrot and bacteria. Is he still eating?
*edit* how quickly are his fins deteriorating?
eSHA 2000 is not available near me in America. How about either of the following options?
  1. HikarI Betta Revive: Betta Revive - HikarI Sales USA
    • Contents: Water, neomycin sulfate (<10%), methylene blue (<0.5%), proprietary polymer mixture, buffers, EDTA, malachite green chloride (<0.01%), cyanocobalamin and electrolytes.
  2. Kordon Ich Attack:
    • Contents: 5% active ingredients (multiple natural herbals containing Naphthoquinone) and 95% inert ingredients.
I already have Kordon Ich Attack with me. It will take a few days for me to get HikarI Betta Revive via mail unless I drive for about 3 hours. I have Petco and Petsmart near me in case there is some other useful medicine available in these shops.

He is not eating well. But he takes a bite occasionally. The rate of fin deterioration has increased in the past two days .

Falena

I already have Kordon Ich Attack with me. It will take a few days for me to get HikarI Betta Revive via mail unless I drive for about 3 hours. I have Petco and Petsmart near me in case there is some other useful medicine available in these shops.

He is not eating well. But he takes a bite occasionally. The rate of fin deteriorati

Unfortunately Kordon ich attack is for external parasitic infections so I don't think that will be useful here. Though hikarI betta revive might be! It's broad spectrum so treats protozoan diseases, bacterial and fungal infections. That's what you want as unfortunately fin rot this advanced can sometimes result in fungal infection too. Usually when their fins start deteriorating really quickly this is quite likely . It's also very contagious so I highly suggest quarantine to protect the rest for your fish. I'm not super familiar with what medications are available in the states but you have a fair few more than we do so petco might have something that targets bacterial and fungal infections.
Maybe fill out the emergency form here , start a new thread with the urgent prefix. To get quicker responses. People may be able to advise you further on the bettafix/melafix dilemma too Fish Emergency Template | Freshwater Fish Disease 376562

subchan

Unfortunately Kordon ich attack is for external parasitic infections so I don't think that will be useful here. Though hikarI betta revive might be! It's broad spectrum so treats protozoan diseases, bacterial and fungal infections. That's what you want as unfortunately fin rot this advanced can sometimes result in fungal infection too. Usually when their fins start deteriorating really quickly this is quite likely . It's also very contagious so I highly suggest quarantine to protect the rest for your fish. I'm not super familiar with what medications are available in the states but you have a fair few more than we do so petco might have something that targets bacterial and fungal infections.
Maybe fill out the emergency form here , start a new thread with the urgent prefix. To get quicker responses. People may be able to advise you further on the bettafix/melafix dilemma too Fish Emergency Template | Freshwater Fish Disease 376562
Thank you so much! I am looking into that emergency form.

I guess I will drive tomorrow to get HikarI Betta Revive. The nearest store that has it is about 1.5 hours away though.

The betta guy is back to the 3-gallon tank with 1-1.5 gallons of water and a heater. NO filter! So I am thinking of changing about 0.5 gallons of water every day until he becomes better. Is it fine? Should I also add an air bubbler?

The 29-gallon tank has some snakeskin barbs, dalmatian and sailfin mollies, and ember tetras. It is a heavily planted tank. So I cannot even catch these fish. The betta guy has been in the breeder net in this tank for around 4 days. Will these fish be fine? Or do I need to do something? Maybe a big water change?

Falena

Thank you so much! I am looking into that emergency form.

I guess I will drive tomorrow to get HikarI Betta Revive. The nearest store that has it is about 1.5 hours away though.

The betta guy is back to the 3-gallon tank with 1-1.5 gallons of water and a heater. NO filter! So I am thinking of changing about 0.5 gallons of water every day until he becomes better. Is it fine? Should I also add an air bubbler?

The 29-gallon tank has some snakeskin barbs, dalmatian and sailfin mollies, and ember tetras. It is a heavily planted tank. So I cannot even catch these fish. The betta guy has been in the breeder net in this tank for around 4 days. Will these fish be fine? Or do I need to do something? Maybe a big water change?
You're more than welcome! I really hope he can pull through this
people respond to the urgent form really quickly, so if you do that before you embark on such a long drive, they may be able to advise you further on what you already have available. You never know, someone with experience with it could tell you if it will work.

I'm glad you put him back into the quarantine tank. I keep a special needs betta in a tank without a filter and use seachem prime to detoxify ammonia. I just change 50% of his water every other day and vacuum up his poops and don't see any ammonia. So yeah, just change out a quarter of his water daily for now and clean up any waste. I wouldn't add the bubbler for now incase it further damages his fragile fins, maybe add some plants or cuttings for oxygen and for him to rest on instead? If he can make it up for air he should be ok.

I would recommend a 50% water change and surface gravel vac for your 29 gallon too, just to be on the safe side. I wish you the best of luck! I hope you get some solid advice on your form!

subchan

You're more than welcome! I really hope he can pull through this
people respond to the urgent form really quickly, so if you do that before you embark on such a long drive, they may be able to advise you further on what you already have available. You never know, someone with experience with it could tell you if it will work.

I'm glad you put him back into the quarantine tank. I keep a special needs betta in a tank without a filter and use seachem prime to detoxify ammonia. I just change 50% of his water every other day and vacuum up his poops and don't see any ammonia. So yeah, just change out a quarter of his water daily for now and clean up any waste. I wouldn't add the bubbler for now incase it further damages his fragile fins, maybe add some plants or cuttings for oxygen and for him to rest on instead? If he can make it up for air he should be ok.

I would recommend a 50% water change and surface gravel vac for your 29 gallon too, just to be on the safe side. I wish you the best of luck! I hope you get some solid advice on your form!
Sure, thank you! I posted another thread with the emergency questions template in Freshwater Fish --> Betta fish forum, with the hope to get additional responses from a different forum as well.

Falena

No problem at all! You should change the category to freshwater fish and inverts> freshwater fish disease and then set your prefix to important. I think you're more likely to get seen quicker that way hope that helps

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
killernago
Replies
Views
samuraikitty7
Replies
Views
David3738
Replies
Views