Is This Betta A Plakat Male Or A Female

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by FishFish221, Apr 11, 2018.

1. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

So I have a betta that I got from someone who couldn't keep it anymore. Not exactly sure if it is a plakat male or a female though.

Theres a picture of it below and a link to a video for a better view of it because the betta is mostly black so the camera cannot really capture the details.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Well, judging from the photo, which I cannot really see too well with, it appears to be a male because it lacks an egg spot.
    I may be wrong from judging by this photo, other members can assist.

3. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

Ehh it's a little hard to say, I'd grab a flashlight or take some pictures using the flash to get more details. I can sort of see an egg spot in the picture but... Try to get some pictures either with the betta flaring at its reflection or at least with its pelvic fins down.

Also, can't say for sure if it's a plakat just yet as the anal fin needs to be flared out as well,

The fins are a bit of a mess, the little guy/gal is clamping them a bit and making it even harder to sex it. Body shape looks more male in general to me.

4. OP
    OP
    FishFish221

Will try to get a photo as soon as possible.

5. Harlan12

Harlan12 Valued Member Member

Looks like female to me. Most plakats have a straighter body compared to females.

6. OP
    OP
    FishFish221

Some better photos of it.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice