Is This Betta A Girl Or Boy?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Starburst92, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Starburst92

Starburst92Valued MemberMember

Hey everyone!! So I just helped my friend pick out a brand new adorable baby betta. He was labeled a baby boy but we all know it's a 50/50 when petco labels them. We can't tell if he is male or female, he doesn't have an obvious eggspot that stands out, like a couple other white babies did. I've been scoping his belly out for a couple days now but I don't see anything. But he seems shaped more like a female, I also don't know the age but he's very young and small. I've seen smaller babies that had obvious eggspot s tho. Can anyone tell by any of his/her characteristics what the gender may be?? Either way his personality is amazing he comes right up to your finger and kisses it, and even let me "pet" him. We named him Cupid:) <3 I also haven't seen him flare yet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  2. lizcateyes

lizcateyesValued MemberMember

The longer ventral fins and small bubbles the fish has in one of the photos would make me think the fish was male. For what it's worth, though, bettas can change their genders until they reach adult age, and I've had it happen on me with females I was trying to get to be in a sorority tank setup many years ago. A very nice looking fish, good find for your friend!

3. OP
    OP
    Starburst92

Thanks for replying so fast! It's so hard to tell and it sucks because it's such a mystery lol he hasn't flared at all tho not even to his own reflection or to other Bettas we put his cup next to. Do you know how old he might be??

4. Sushi'skeeper

Sushi'skeeperValued MemberMember

@lizcateyes bubbles do not necessarily mean the betta is a male, as females blow bubble nests as well, not as often as male, but they do. My 2 1/2 year old female used to blow them. Can we get a side picture? A close up one? This way, we can see if he/she has ovaries.

5. Glen91New MemberMember

I'd say male going off the bottom fins! Tough to tell when they are young though! Females tend to have less plumage. Gorgeous looking fish though:)

6. OP
    OP
    Starburst92

Thankyou!! It's such a mystery at this point ugh

It's SO hard to get pictures that do justice this is the best I can do unfortunately he moves too much

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  7. FishL:))

FishL:))Well Known MemberMember

Hmmm...it's really hard to tell their gender at young ages!! My first guess would a male. Lovely Betta!! :)

8. OP
    OP
    Starburst92

I can't find an eggspot on the belly and I've looked for weeks. What do you guys think?? Also no flares yet either with the mirror or other betta in the tank. The first picture is how he always greets me when I come to the tank look at his little smile!! The rest are pictures I've taken from the last two weeks until today.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  9. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

Looks male to me. Though it's entirely possible I'm wrong, I'd have to see a better close-up picture to be sure.

10. saket

saketValued MemberMember

he is a boy and a vieltail betta.
    he is beautifull:)

11. Nanologist

NanologistWell Known MemberMember

I would disagree, vieltail have much longer flowing tails.

Unless this is a small plakat betta it appears female.

Was it not labeled!? They generally are.

12. OP
    OP
    Starburst92

Thankyou!! I was thinking male too since his front fins are so long but you never know.

13. Nanologist

This is what a veiltale looks like:  

Plakat male bettas have very short tails though:  

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2017
  14. saket

saketValued MemberMember

i have a blue betta and it has exactly same body structure and is a vieltail i also double checked it by posting here a long time ago.

15. OP
    OP
    Starburst92

He was labeled as a boy but i noticed almost all the "baby boys" had eggspots and were obviously female. Also his shape just seemed kind of female to me. He's still very tiny! You can never be sure with petco.

Thankyou!! He always looks like he's smiling I love it haha

16. Nanologist

Here's a female:  

17. saket

saketValued MemberMember

i think you could be right.

18. Nanologist

Okay, he's most likely a plakat then and yes, he's very pretty!

As far as flaring, some males just aren't as aggressive and do not flare.

19. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

Imo it appears to be a male plakat.

Its too long and thin in the tail for a female. Though they can show opposite traits. Looking for the eggspot is the way to be sure.

20. OP
    OP
    Starburst92

The real question is where petco gets there babies from. Maybe they all come from the same type??

I've looked everyday for the 2 weeks I've had him and nothing, but it might be blending in since he's all white. It's frustrating!

He always lurks by the divider so he can watch the other betta, and when the other betta gets close he swims away in horror. It's so funny

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice