Is this BBA?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by DanB80TTS, Aug 6, 2015.

1. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

This stuff is taking over my tank now that I look closley, I am upgrading my lighting in a few days.
    How do you know what is out of balance? I use flourish and excel as directed and am upgrading from a Fugeray to a planted plus, I am hoping that new lighting won't make it worse but will allow my plants to use up the nutrients better.
    I will be adding some cherry shrimp soon also, do they eat this stuff? I know some forms of algae are a delicacy for certain aquatic life, I have seen my dwarf gourami nipping at the stuff.

image.jpg image.jpg

2. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

I am no algae expert, but that looks too long and wispy to me. I am, unfortunately, battling BBA as I try to get my fert balance correct, and my BBA is shorter and stays in a tighter clump. I'm having some success controlling it with Excel, but I need to keep working at it.

3. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

It's hair algae. BBA looks like black fuzz. How long are the lights you have now on for?

Sent from my iPhone with my fingers.

4. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Too long, it varies though, turn on anywhere from 10am-2pm - turn to moonlights anywhere from 7-9pm and then shut moonlights off anywhere from 12-3am.

I thought it was hair algae, but it's black in colour and when I was researching it was coming up to black beard algae, some of the pictures looked like what I have but some also looked like a short fuzzy fungus looking algae which is how I thought BBA looked.

If it's a black hair algae then if I'm correct, nothing will be rushing to eat it, I did think it odd that my gourami was picking at it though.

I am getting a Finnex planted plus 24/7 and I plan to use the 24/7 feature on it.
    I know my current lighting is on the high side of the low end at about PAR 30 at the substrate, the new light should peak around 50 I think at its brightest point of the cycle. It should either help, or make everything worse, as far as I know it's all trial and error getting the balance for planted tanks right.

5. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Looks like cladaphora algae to me.

Have you seen this link?

6. BDpups

Might be staghorn too maybe?

Having your lights on a timer may help. I would cut the leaves with the algae off. If you get a timer, leave it on for 7 hours.

7. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

I'd also say stag horn algae, do you think it would be worth getting a SAE to help along with less light?
    can SAE be kept alon? I have a BN plec but I don't think he's interested

8. BDpups

What size tank is it?

9. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

29Gallon, it's got some stocking room left in it but I wouldn't want to introduce more than one or two SAE since they can reach 6 inches. Plus I'd assume being algae eaters they are probably poop machines and might have a decently sized bioload, but I know they are said to be one of the top all round algae eaters.
    Full tank details are in my profile.

10. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of fertilizers and how much do you use? I'd try cutting back on fertilizers and putting your light on a timer too. Some algae is normal. I've read letting it grow on the back wall will help keep it off of certain places.

I have beard algae, am I the only one who likes it? lol. I have some red beard growing on my marimo moss and green algae on the back wall, a little bit of fuzz algae and beard algae on some plants and I've even seen a little piece of staghorn here and there. A little bit I'm ok with but obviously you don't want it to overtake your all your plants ha ha.

11. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

I use flourish and excel and dose as it says on the bottle, my new planted plus 24/7 should arrive tommorow so the lights will be on a cycle.
    I don't mind some algae either, I've never encountered this hairy type before, upon closer inspection I saw it was all over my dying dwarf hairgrass and on a few of my swords leaves.
    I first spotted it a week or two ago on my moneywort, and since then it has spread.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice