Is This An Orange Spot Pleco? Question

1. MommaLake

MommaLake Well Known Member Member

IMG_1049.JPG

I bought this little guy as an orange spot (aka mustard spot) pleco from my lfs. But on planetcatfish they look a little bit different. Is this just natural variation, juvenile vs adult variation, or did I get something else? I think mine is a boy because he has a ton of those spiny things by his fins(arms)/behind his head. He’s about 3 to 3.5 inches.

I adore him and he seems very happy in my angel tank but I just want to make sure he’s getting what he needs. I know pleco care can vary quite a bit between species.

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I think you have a snowball pleco, that's what it looks like to me.

3. OP
    OP
    MommaLake

I’ve looked all through planetcatfish and the only other one that looks like a potential match is the galaxy pleco, and the snowball like you said.
    The spots on the orange spot pleco on P.C. seem really small and his aren’t. Also he has those odontodes mentioned in the description for the galaxy and the lfs does sell those too.
    The other thing that throws me off are his eyes. He has those striking light colored eyes.

4. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I believe that he is a snowball, not a galaxy. I could be wrong.
    Yes, they have white spots too, but they are way smaller and less in quantity.

@DarkOne
    Could you verify this pleco?

5. OP
    OP
    MommaLake

I tried to get some better pics but he really likes his cave spot

Image1527443860.530720.jpg

Image1527443898.432922.jpg

Image1527443925.063877.jpg

In the last pic he’s next to my adult female clown pleco for comparison

6. OP
    OP
    MommaLake

He does seem to prefer meaty foods over veggie foods, if that helps at all in identifying . He completely ignores fresh zucchini.

As far as temperament, he has his chosen area and will allow other bottom dwellers to pass through but not stay. He’ll chase them out if they linger too long, even cories. But as soon as they move along he’s fine, won’t continue chasing.

My concern if he is a snowball is that they have a warmer temp minimum. This tank is at 78 currently. The cories max temp is 80. Snowballs 80-87, orange spot 78-91. So even if he’s an orange spot he’s at his minimum already.