Is this an illness?! Help!

QueenJenn

Reaction score
Please help! I just noticed today a few problems with a couple of my fish. I was taking some pictures to post questions about my new tank and I found my black molly with white on him? (pictured below photos 1&2). He is the only one that has it & I know for a fact he has always been 100% dark, deep black will the yellow accents. I don't know if this has anything to do with stress of the swordtails, which leads me to another problem. My male swordtail is biting at my guppies, a lot of them are hiding and my other male is hiding as well. I have tooked at my female (and other fish thats possibly a swordtail) and I think its definitely possible that one is pregnant! I am not sure what to do about this and I don't want the babies to be eaten & I don't want my smaller fish to be so scared!! Any helpful ideas/tips I'd really appreciate she is pictured below in 4&5. Onto my third issue, my other fish (not sure of her type, was in a tank with random assorted fish so I don't know what she is, and I've gotten many different opinions on that), she has a green spot on her fin, almost looks like algae, just noticed this today too as well. (pictured below) Also I don't know if these things are emergencies, but I filled out the form anyway just in case! Also FINALLY one of my mystery snails was floating today, not sure on why but we had a bit of a cold night last night w the window open, when I woke up the tank said 80 degrees still so I'm not sure if thats part of any of these issues or not but definitely thought I should mention it.

ALSO these two fish are the only ones that have these symptoms!! Have checked every fish.

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 37 gallon
How long has the tank been running? since february, so upwards of 4 months
Does it have a filter? yes, a topfin brand, came with setup
Does it have a heater? yes, aqueon 40 gal
What is the water temperature? 80
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
2 mystery snails
2 mollies
5 bloodfin tetra
1 long fin tetra
1 black skirt tetra
1 f swordtails
2 m swordtails
3 fish unknown (the mom is the one with the green spot on her fin)
3 guppies

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? weekly
How much of the water do you change? 25%
What do you use to treat your water? aqueon water conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? substrate as well

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? API fresh water test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
pH: 7.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? daily
How much do you feed your fish? a pinch, just enough for each fish
What brand of food do you feed your fish? topfin tropical flakes
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? no

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? molly- approx 3 months// swordtail?- approx 2 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? today for both
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? my all black fish has white markings of some sort on him, my other fish has a green spot on her upper fin
Have you started any treatment for the illness? no
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? no

Explain your emergency situation in detail. Black molly: he is very upset looking, with his fins down, he looks very scared, usually swims with his fins opened up, hes very pretty!! was sitting at the bottom not moving too much
Black Swordtail?: She is swimming completely normally she looks happy, still has bright colors, just has a green spot, I dont't know if is a problem or not, just noticed right now and got scared!

Everything pictured below, first photo 6309 is the fish of unknown breed, platy/swordtail w/ green mark on upper fin
second and third photo 6316&6315 are my black molly who has some white marks on him
photo four and five, 6320&6319 are my female swordtail who I think is pregnant!!
Photos all taken today!

Attachments

Aquashrimp42

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think that your mystery fish with a green spot is a platy and I don't think you need to worry about that one very much. The black molly looks like it has either fin/tail rot or possibly ick. These things are contagious and you should go to your local pet or fish store and pick up something like Seachem's KanaPlex. Dosing your tank with it as the instructions state should help your fish as KanaPlex treats fungal and bacterial diseases in fish. Some would cull the fish showing signs of disease to avoid it spreading but a quarantine tank would work too. The route you take depends on how attached you are to your fish. Using the antifungal you should be able to eradicate the disease but there is no guarantee. I have successfully used it to rid my fish of the disease.

As for your pregnant fish there I can help you more. I have been breeding livebearers for several years now and I can give you some advice. I will bet that some of your baby fish, fry, will survive just hiding in the decorations of the tank. If you want to keep as many of them as possible you could set up a separate tank with the same water as the tank it is currently in. You can introduce the pregnant female to the tank and you should keep it with a bare bottom. You could add some spawning mops to act as hiding spots for the baby fish. You would then wait for the female to give birth, swordtails give live birth to essentially free-swimming fry, and remove the female as soon as you see babies in the tank or that the female is significantly smaller. Swordtails have a gestation period of about a month and can have a batch of babies about every month or so. Once you have the babies you can feed them live daphnia or baby brine shrimp for optimal growth.

If you are like me and don't have access to these foods you can feed them small amounts of crushed fish flake food. You could also get a breeder box or an external breeder box (I prefer the external ones because the babies can's escape as easily) and do the same thing as the separate tank. Good luck with your fish!

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
Does the white look like little dots or more like white fuzzy patches? I cant really tell from the photo. While kanaplex is a great medication for fish, it does not treat for ick.

If it presents as white dots, treat the whole tank with a medication specifically for ick. There are tons of them on the market.If it looks more like a cotton-like fuzz it could be columnaris in which case you should treat the whole tank with both kanaplex AND furan-2. I might look up some reference photos of the two diseases and see if either matches the white spots on the black fish. I cannot get a clear look to give you a diagnosis. A hospital tank is always best for treatment but its also a good idea to address the main tank to prevent further spread, especially if it is coumnaris, which is highly deadly.

OP
Q

QueenJenn

Reaction score
FreshwaterHG said:
Does the white look like little dots or more like white fuzzy patches? I cant really tell from the photo. While kanaplex is a great medication for fish, it does not treat for ick.

If it presents as white dots, treat the whole tank with a medication specifically for ick. There are tons of them on the market.If it looks more like a cotton-like fuzz it could be columnaris in which case you should treat the whole tank with both kanaplex AND furan-2. I might look up some reference photos of the two diseases and see if either matches the white spots on the black fish. I cannot get a clear look to give you a diagnosis. A hospital tank is always best for treatment but its also a good idea to address the main tank to prevent further spread, especially if it is coumnaris, which is highly deadly.
it looks more like fuzz but on him, definitely not dots at all, and none of my other fish have anything like it either

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
QueenJenn said:
it looks more like fuzz but on him, definitely not dots at all, and none of my other fish have anything like it either
If there are no dots it’s definitely not ich. It could be columnaris which is highly contagious and hard to treat. It also is a fast killer. It could be something else but I would remove him immediately if you can. I use a 10g hospital tank for any sick fish I have. Do you have access to something like that? It could also be some other fungal infection but I would not risk it. Removing him immediately and watch very close for other symptoms on other fish

OP
Q

QueenJenn

Reaction score
FreshwaterHG said:
If there are no dots it’s definitely not ich. It could be columnaris which is highly contagious and hard to treat. It also is a fast killer. It could be something else but I would remove him immediately if you can. I use a 10g hospital tank for any sick fish I have. Do you have access to something like that? It could also be some other fungal infection but I would not risk it. Removing him immediately and watch very close for other symptoms on other fish
I removed him yesterday and put him in a quickly set up tank, it was already running for two days because originally it was started for another reason. I unfortunately didn't have one already set up & cycled, I put him in and put some quick start in it & I put an API bacteria/fungus cure in with him. He's moving a lot more, before I even put the meds into the tank he was as well. I think he was also getting bullied by my swordtail who might be a dad, he's about 1.5/2 in bigger than my molly. When do you recommend I can put him back?

OP
Q

QueenJenn

Reaction score
Aquashrimp42 said:
I would probably give it at least a few days to a week after all symptoms completely disappear.
Okay great!! Thank you. I will keep an eye on him. Another question, how long can they last for? Meaning how long will the fish be sick before he gets better or he dies? I just am scared to be stuck with this tank for so long. Also since I put him in there sick should I not put anyone else in there? I was going to try to put my pregnant fish in their so she could have her fry safely, but that probably shouldn't happen now right? I've never dealt with a sick fish if you can't tell lol. I'm not sure how it works.

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
QueenJenn said:
Okay great!! Thank you. I will keep an eye on him. Another question, how long can they last for? Meaning how long will the fish be sick before he gets better or he dies? I just am scared to be stuck with this tank for so long. Also since I put him in there sick should I not put anyone else in there? I was going to try to put my pregnant fish in their so she could have her fry safely, but that probably shouldn't happen now right? I've never dealt with a sick fish if you can't tell lol. I'm not sure how it works.
Your definitely going to want him to be the only thing in that tank unless you see other fish starting to show the salt symptoms. You shouldn’t place him back into the main tank until there are no signs of the cotton fuzz on him. If it is coumnaris he liky won’t recover from the meds you gave him but let’s hope it’s not. If it is it’s likely he won’t make it more the a week. Don’t worry too much about cycling. Just keep up with water changes and dose the medication with the replacement water. (Just follow the direction on the package for how much)

OP
Q

QueenJenn

Reaction score
FreshwaterHG said:
Your definitely going to want him to be the only thing in that tank unless you see other fish starting to show the salt symptoms. You shouldn’t place him back into the main tank until there are no signs of the cotton fuzz on him. If it is coumnaris he liky won’t recover from the meds you gave him but let’s hope it’s not. If it is it’s likely he won’t make it more the a week. Don’t worry too much about cycling. Just keep up with water changes and dose the medication with the replacement water. (Just follow the direction on the package for how much)
should i do more water changes? the meds say to do 25% then re-treat the water. should i do more than this after treatment? Also I mean after he is out will I be able to put other fish in? If he is not in there. I don't know how fish disease spreads and I don't want to risk my female swordtail momma

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
QueenJenn said:
should i do more water changes? the meds say to do 25% then re-treat the water. should i do more than this after treatment? Also I mean after he is out will I be able to put other fish in? If he is not in there. I don't know how fish disease spreads and I don't want to risk my female swordtail momma
How offten does it say to do 25%? That is probably enough but I would do it every other day to every 3 days. You can also throw other media from another filter into the filter in this tank. The best thing to do is just monitor the ammonia levels and not let it get above 0.25, though 0 is best.

Before putting new fish in the tank I would completely change the water. Many illnesses spread through water so I would not recommend putting anything in the same water. I would do a 90-100% water change once he’s out and run carbon filtration to remove any medications left over for a day or two before putting in new fish. This worked for my old hospital tank I put a betta in.

Edit: I’m not sure how big your hospital tank is so idk how easy it is for you to change the water 100%. I normally use a 10g

OP
Q

QueenJenn

Reaction score
FreshwaterHG said:
How offten does it say to do 25%? That is probably enough but I would do it every other day to every 3 days. You can also throw other media from another filter into the filter in this tank. The best thing to do is just monitor the ammonia levels and not let it get above 0.25, though 0 is best.

Before putting new fish in the tank I would completely change the water. Many illnesses spread through water so I would not recommend putting anything in the same water. I would do a 90-100% water change once he’s out and run carbon filtration to remove any medications left over for a day or two before putting in new fish. This worked for my old hospital tank I put a betta in.

Edit: I’m not sure how big your hospital tank is so idk how easy it is for you to change the water 100%. I normally use a 10g
mine is also 10g! thank you very much. i appreciate your help a lot

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom