Is this all i need to start my tank?? Question 

jackgooner87

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have had a tropical fish tank with Cichlids but they have all died. So i have decied to do saltwater tank with Clownfish (Ocellaris) as my daughter keeps going on about them.

I was just wondering will the set up i got be ok or will i need to start again? At the moment i have:

Tank - Trigon 190 (Volume: approx. 190 Litres Measurements: 99 x 70 x 60 cm)

Lights - 2x T5 high-light (I think 1 x High-Lite Tube Day 28 W (590 mm)
1 x High-Lite Tube Nature 28 W (590 mm))

Filters - Fluval 204 ((external) inside filter i have floss, carbon & sponge) & Fluval 4plus ((internal) inside filter i have sponge)

Heater - Not sure on make or model but it is conected inside the tank on the outlet pipe to the external filter

Then inside the tank i have got live rock on the bottom of the tank (i think its coral) also i have got more live rock for decoration (in a pile so fish can get inside it). I know i will have to buy sea salt mix and hydrometer but do i need anything else for that set up??

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Do you have live rock in there now without saltwater? Also, for your filter you need to change out your media if you haven't done so already.

jackgooner87

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have live rock from my fresh water tank. I was just going to wash it and use it in the saltwater tank. Is this a problem? I have emptied the filters and put new media in it.

clinton1621

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The bacteria in your Freshwater tanks that you are considering as making your rocks "live" will not live in Saltwater... that means you will be adding a rock, not live rock. Live rock is purchased from a LFS or other supplier and is taken from Saltwater. It has Saltwater bacteria, along with other Saltwater organisms living on and in it... thus the term "live rock". Plain rocks added to a Saltwater tank will eventually become live rock, but it takes a long time.

On lighting it varies, but I generally use 1 10K spectrum light and 1 actinic light

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wouldn't put anything but a true ocean live rock in a Saltwater tank. Plain old rocks that you find have minerals in them that can leach into the water. Saltwater live rock is old, dead coral. Don't put anything in a Saltwater tank that doesn't specifically say it can be used in a Saltwater tank. Freshwater fish are used to all kinds of bad things in the water but Saltwater fish cannot live in anything but an almost pure Saltwater environment.

I had thought from your original post that you had live rock and it was sitting in fresh water. That's a no-no as your live rock would die, but apparently I misunderstood.

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
so as far as setting up a tank, heres what you need:

filtration that would allow for a minimum of 8 tank turn overs per hour for a canister filter or 10 tank turn overs for a hangon filter ( i use both and have a combination of 17 turn overs per hour)
powerheads to move water around the tank ( 2)
the heater and light source you have
a protein skimmer, rated for at least 2 to 3 times more than the size of tank you have
are you planning FOWLR or reef tank

you will need live rock, and live sand around 50 pounds of sand, and 50 to 60 of live rock ( but can start with less)
a hydrometer to measure salinity
ph buffer, dechloronator, marine salt,Saltwater test kit for ammonia, nitrites,nitrates ( dont get the strips, they are not very accurate)

to set up the tank, add the live sand, fill tank with water, add salt per direction , add dechlornator (prime) and ph buffer adjust heater to around 78F.
let sit for a day or so, check ph, temp and salinity
then add live rock and let tank cycle ( cycle time varies from 4weeks to 8 weeks, just check ammonia, nitrites, nitrates to see when it has completed cycling)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom