What lighting do you have Isobelle ?
It doesn't look like that when it first starts to form/grow. I had it really bad in my 2.6g Fluval Spec III. I would "peel" it off the leaves and plants every few days. I had a pair of guppies that needed EME and when I dosed the tank, the algae all died off in a couple of days. I looked it up and it seems to be common practice to dose a tank with EME when you have a CB outbreak.I've driven a boat through blue green algae and it looks more like a flouresant blue paint or from another planet. You guys sure ?
I was just at the store maybe 2 weeks ago and they had kanaplex!pretty sure we don't have kanaplex since kanamycin is an antibiotic
what if you got some burying snails like assassins to mess the sand up all the time? maybe that would help? idk
I was just at the store maybe 2 weeks ago and they had kanaplex!
I think I included in the post that it clumps into the sand. Doesn’t siphon up.That looks like decaying plant matter especially the one on your heater (assuming you have live plants). If it siphons out easily, or you can easily move it with your hand then that’s what it is. Algae usually sticks on to things and you have to manually scrape it off.
The stuff on the sand looks like the start of Cyanobacteria. If its like a giant cobweb that clings to everything and is a blue-ish green color, that's probably it.
I was referring to what’s on your heater, not on your sand. I would check for phosphates and see if that is causing the issue. Too much of it will cause an algae outbreak. Every time I have had algae, I would lightly graze over my sand substrate to remove the top layer that is growing algae. I can understand that once it’s on the sand, it’s very difficult to combat unless meds are used or siphon out the algae on the sand.I think I included in the post that it clumps into the sand. Doesn’t siphon up.
It’s pretty green and clumps up a lot but not sure I’d say cobweb. How can I get rid of it if I can’t get erythromycin? :/
What I wrote is what Ive been told about Cyano for the last 40 years. A quick google search and I found this page:
Yeah, and I've also heard that bettas only live 2 years and don't need a heater/filter. Opinions. They belong to people, but don't always hold facts.
What I wrote is what I've learned over the past year of dealing with cyano. Cyano will Always come back unless you use antibiotics to kill it. You can't not have the nutrients that they feed off of, so if you have cyano, its because you have cyano in your tank that was introduced to the tank through plants, gravel, or water from stock. You don't simple get cyano from forgetting to change the tank, its a bacteria and doesn't appear from nowhere.
Plus, I wouldn't trust spruce pets, since they say "In fact, it can never truly eliminated. However, regular water changes, maintenance, and preventive measures will eliminate the recurrence of a blue-green algae overgrowth."
Which is something I have proven wrong.
It's definitely alge, most of my large tanks have some of it. It generally doesn't harm the fishes or water and it can also be a food to some of the fishes any catfishs or loaches will eat it out also it will die if aquarium is restricted to get enough sunlight
Usually its a case of an imbalanced tank. Too many nutrients (nitrates especially) so infrequent water changes can cause it. If you have hard water that's full of phosphates that will aid in its growth. Overstocking and overfeeding your tank can cause it. Too little water movement/air bubbles causing a protein slick. High light can also cause it if you have hard water. If you have a heavily stocked tank with hard water and you're doing only small water changes and using high light, Cyano will always show up.
You CAN get rid of it by cleaning the tank and decorations well and doing more/bigger water changes. That won't help if your overfeeding the tank, overstocking the tank, don't have enough water movement, have hard water, etc.
If you know you have hard water, you may need to go to RO water.
If you have multiple tanks and its only showing up in one tank figure out what's making that tank different.
I never use chemicals in my tank, so when I get a bloom of it (I have hard water and use grow lights on all my tanks) I just clean the tank well and try dial back the light. You might never get rid of it fully, but if you can manage it, it will be a lot better. There are a few chemicals available, but I don't think its worth it. You might have it come right back if you can figure out what's causing it.