Is This Advanced Hith Or Something Different?

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Methylene blue is perfect for saprolegnia which I agree that it is. It grows on dying tissue only. Malachite green is good too.

I would do more than 10 seconds though. You can use 1/2 tsp methylene blue to 2.5g water for 30 minutes once a day to cure them of this secondary fungal infection.

OP
D

dbl_dbl

Reaction score
CindiL said:
Methylene blue is perfect for saprolegnia which I agree that it is. It grows on dying tissue only. Malachite green is good too.

I would do more than 10 seconds though. You can use 1/2 tsp methylene blue to 2.5g water for 30 minutes once a day to cure them of this secondary fungal infection.
Thanks again! I will treat him in a 30 minute bath today.

Today he is more lively than he was for the last week or so. Swimming around chasing fry after 10 days of barely moving.

I'm trying to take as many pics as I can to document it. I am feeling pretty ashamed that I let this happen to him. My girlfriend thinks I should euthanize him but I am going to give him a week of treatment. He's definitely showing signs of improvement today.

39f246d4d3afa04bdcb0b4811cc9e0c7.jpg

42bc2fd4fc83f0a90ff2a6cba683ed05.jpg

50e3364130c94a44a6655629c0610b8c.jpg
05c2c164f4857ceb5180e069846e5bc4.jpg

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Its not your fault he is sick. You are treating him now. I agree to not euthanize him while he has a chance to recover yet.

Saprolegnia is in all tanks and only becomes an issue on weakened or sick fish and only when they have dead tissue for it to grow on in the first place.

Make sure to be feeding him the general cure soaked pellets also which will treat any parasites internally.

OP
D

dbl_dbl

Reaction score
CindiL said:
Its not your fault he is sick. You are treating him now. I agree to not euthanize him while he has a chance to recover yet.

Saprolegnia is in all tanks and only becomes an issue on weakened or sick fish and only when they have dead tissue for it to grow on in the first place.

You're treating him with metro right? I need to read back because I don't remember.
I treated his main tank with General Cure. He was in that treatment for the recommended time, then I gave him the M. Blue dip.

I am currently not treating his smaller holding tank with metro. I could, though. I wanted to treat his pellets but his appetite isn't strong right now.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'd treat his smaller tank too. I'd also do more than one round of the general cure for all of them. If it is HITH, I don't think one round will be enough.

OP
D

dbl_dbl

Reaction score
CindiL said:
I'd treat his smaller tank too. I'd also do more than one round of the general cure for all of them. If it is HITH, I don't think one round will be enough.
Okay, I will treat both tanks with another round starting today and will continue with his daily M Blue 30 min dips.

Do you have a med combination of choice for new fish dips?

Jayd976

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would use the M. Blue in a small container (bath) do not add it to any of the tanks directly it will stain the silicone and ornaments in the tank.

Be sure to keep an Eye on him in the bath if he starts to show any signs of distress from the prolonged bath remove him asap. HI'm being more active and vibrant is a good sign that the treatment is working. Just be diligent and keep at it.

I said quick dips earlier because I did it as s preventative measure for all my saltwater fish. Freshwater bath in M. Blue. It's only meant to be about a 10-15 second bath. Buffer the water to get a higher ph of 8.0 or match the main tank they're going in add M. Blue give them a quick dip then add them to the tank. This is done after an acclimation drip.

OP
D

dbl_dbl

Reaction score
Fungus turned blue after today's 30 minute bath. I'm hoping this is the staining of the fungus cells which stops their metabolism as per some research.

b6912a2058c62ae7cec47bb1d1e2fddb.jpg

0fce21b057c822fcc96513a04134069e.jpg

using Tapatalk

Jayd976

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes that's exactly what it is. Keep it up and soon they will start to come off.

Is that eggs on the leaf in background to left under his face??

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It stains blue any dead tissue/cells.

I usually put a couple drops of methylene blue with new fish while acclimating them. OR I use betta revive which has methylene blue, malachite green and neomycin. Its a great preventative combo.

OP
D

dbl_dbl

Reaction score
The Ram has died. I had a feeling. I haven't seen him eat in a while, and the damage that the fungus was feeding on was too much.

I've learned a few things:

1. Hospital tank is a necessity.

2. Dip all new fish. I knew I introduced some sketchy fish.

3. Have a stock of meds for emergency treatment. I've got Methalyene Blue and Metro. Any other I should definitely have?

4. Don't wait. I waited a week or more before reacting to this. As soon as the fish stopped eating vigorously and started hiding I should have begun treatment.

I'm also buying a larger main tank so there is more water volume. I think not seeing the dead guppy and having it rot for a week contributed to this. Having more volume with the same amount of fish will give me more buffer room to react.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't dip or pre-treat any fish, but instead I QT new additions for 3-4 weeks. I would recommend you do the same.

Sorry for your loss

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That's too bad he died

The Saprolegnia is in all of our tanks and it is the fuzz you may see on decaying plants, wood or rotting food. Its possible though when you didn't find the guppy it really exploded in your tank.

Healthy fish will not be effected by it but when they get sick or weak or stressed due to poor water quality it can start breaking down any decaying or dead tissue they have too.

But you're right, the sooner you begin treatment on a sick fish, the higher your odds are at helping them beat whatever it is.

I'd add Nitrofurazone to your medicine cabinet list, found in API Furan-2 or Tetra Fungus Guard, HikarI Bifuran or Jungle Fungus Clear tabs (this one is at Walmart). They all contain the same medicine with different marketing names. It is good for external bacterial conditions and fin rot.

If you're going to keep rams and angels too I'd make sure to add in metro flake food to have also.

Lastly, praziquantel, or PraziPro for parasites, treats mostly external but also internal worms. The metro is better for protozoa though.

New Threads