Is this acceptable? Question 

dsmike

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Today I began putting together my office tank. I have a VERY STABLE room temperature, but my office is VERY BORING and ugle cement brick painted.

I went to my LFS picked up about 20 gallons of salt water, 40 lbs of carib live sand, and 30 lbs of live rock (in 3 pieces, 2 that were aleady growing stuff on them, and one that even had a little crab in it, and 1 "dead" live rock).

I placed about 20lbs of sand first, then placed my rock. Then I slowly added the water. I placed in my power head (600 gph).

The SW expert at the LFS talked my out of getting a skimmer, he said it'd probably be a waste of money for the size of the tank and just see if water changes are sufficent. I'm going to let the sand settle a bit over the weekend.

Monday I'll bring in my hood (a 2 24" bulb fixture with T5 1 acintc 1 Daylight bulb), a thermometer and two small heaters. Sometime next week I'll start testing the water. I'm taking things SLLOOOOWWWW. I rushed my first FW set up and it has been a headache. So I'm trying to avoid the same mistakes.

Any Suggestions? Am I doing anything wrong?

LukeTheDuke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lolol @CM

did you add the other 20lbs of sand?
are you going to setup a sump or refugium?
what kind of filtration are you planning to use?

you seem to be doing setup fine! just let er cycle... you seem to know what your doing, you cant do enough research in this hobby forsure

btw! be very careful of LFS's do your own research, ask for opinions and input of forums like this and the many others out there get real world info, dont believe everything, my LFS is very VERY sketchy mixed advice from every person that works there, ive found my own research here and the forums works best GOOGLE is your best LFS

good lucks hope it goes well

dsmike

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes I added the other sand after I placed the rock.

No sump or refugium at the moment

Just power heads, live rock, and regular water changes.

I normally wouldn't just listen to my LFS for advice, but the guy was talking me OUT of spending extra money. He didn't want me to buy something I didn't really need.

Monday I'll put on the hood/ light set but won't turn them on right away, and add the thermometer and two small heaters. I'm going to just let that setup run for a while and see how it develops.

I KNOW I want to add some more live rock, and living in South Carolina my LFS has really nice live rock ALL the time. In the back room of the store they have tanks just for curing live rock at different prices per pound depending on how long it's been curing and how much of the natural coral has grown. So I'm just adding a bit at a time after the initial hit my wallet took from the first 30 lbs.

dsmike

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Got a free hood! Down side is it only had a single bulb slot, so instead of putting in a 10k and an acitinic I put in a 50/50. Personally the light really gives a beautiful look.

I adjusted one of my large live rock pieces because it was covered in sand from the substrate settling over the weekend and my water has a slightly murky look again as it settles.

There is a wave in the depth of my sand, it is deeper from back to front, but it is not level across. The variance about an inch from thickest to thinnest, and I assume it's because of the current in the water. Is that okay or do I need to level it all out?

I added a thermometer today as well, it read 70* so I put in the free heater I got with the tank and am slowly raising the temp to 80*. I'm keeping an eye on the temp because I'm not sure how much of an affect the lighting will have.

I keep going back and forth with this: I have a free HOB biowheel, I'm thinking about removing the wheel and leaving in one carbon filter and putting it on the tank. That will increase my GPH from 600 to 900 in my 30g tank. The tank currently has about 20 gallons of water in it, and probably room for 3ish more.

Does this seem like a good idea?

Friday the system will have been running 1 week. On either Wednesday or Friday, I will conduct a water change of approx. 2.5 gallons. That will be just over 10% and add another 2.5 gallons of water. I have a small amount of sediment it seeps at the surface of the water, but I feel most of this is from the substrate settling and from the new live rock since it's a brand new tank. I'm going to keep an eye on it. The water change will fix what I have, but I'm still not sure that a skimmer will be neccassary yet. Any opinions?

Thanks everyone for all their input on ALL my tanks.

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't run a skimmer on my 10g and it does fine, but I don't have fish in there and I don't feed the tank either. I didn't have a skimmer on my 55g for a long time and it was fine also.

One thing, make sure the live rock is on the glass bottom and not the sand. If the rock is on the sand and the sand shifts is could tumble.

justatank

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
can you explain 'tumbling"

lanlesnee said:
One thing, make sure the live rock is on the glass bottom and not the sand. If the rock is on the sand and the sand shifts is could tumble.
are you afraid the Live rock could crack the glass, or just change postion?

My tank has a fw fish that really move sand around

LukeTheDuke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
sounds good,

yes i would use that HOB filter, and yes i would take out the biowheel, but do know, what i have learned is that carbon really only "polishes" the water, just a fyi... clean off the carbon media with some elbow grease in your "waste" water when you do water changes, that what i usually do,
however my tank it ever changing,

how many space to you have under the tank? measure figure out what kind of space is under the tank inside the tank stand, how much space is behind the tank&stand too,

look into REFUGIUMS/sumps... there the way to go in the SW from what ive learned and read,
while your researching that lookinto a ATS (Algae Turf Scrubber) too there the bees knees imo there a DIY unless you care to fork out $$$ for a prebuilt one its a easy DIY i did one with very little space under my DT

just some things to lookinto and research a lil fyi for yeah hope everything works out sounds like it going very well

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom