Is This A Worm?!

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I got some new rummy nose tetras last weekend and have today noticed one of them has somethings white that appears to be growing INSIDE its body. None of the others have this. Very difficult to get pics as the fish is so active but I've tried my best - it looks a lot like a worm? Is it? If so, any ideas on what kind, and how to treat? Thank you!
74ef4821593b771064e9305afab78855.jpg

2adfa701b9898cca88362ba4883396a0.jpg

9cd66cc14a6449722d81e3516ff51421.jpg

Ed204

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I got some new rummy nose tetras last weekend and have today noticed one of them has somethings white that appears to be growing INSIDE its body. None of the others have this. Very difficult to get pics as the fish is so active but I've tried my best - it looks a lot like a worm? Is it? If so, any ideas on what kind, and how to treat? Thank you!
74ef4821593b771064e9305afab78855.jpg

2adfa701b9898cca88362ba4883396a0.jpg

9cd66cc14a6449722d81e3516ff51421.jpg
Hi there,
I can't look at the picture clearly, but I think it's anchor worm.
Here are some sites for treatment:

Stuck Fish[anchor worm?]

Stuck Fish[anchor worm?]

Good Luck!

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for your reply @Ed204, but I am not convinced it's an anchor worm! The entirety of the white thing is completely underneath the skin/inside the fish's body - I thought anchor worms only buried their heads in the body of the fish?

Ed204

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks for your reply @Ed204, but I am not convinced it's an anchor worm! The entirety of the white thing is completely underneath the skin/inside the fish's body - I thought anchor worms only buried their heads in the body of the fish?
That's true, but I don't really have a clear look st the picture, sorry.
Here some people who might know what it is:
@chromedome52 @Anders247 @TexasDomer @NavigatorBlack
Good Luck! And Sorry I couldn't help

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's true, but I don't really have a clear look st the picture, sorry.
Here some people who might know what it is:
@chromedome52 @Anders247 @TexasDomer @NavigatorBlack
Good Luck! And Sorry I couldn't help
Thank you! I've just seen that the pics look much better in your first reply and on the app - I posted this from the app originally and pics looked like they do in your reply!

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It could be some type of cancerous growth. One of my rainbowfish had something similar to this, and it died.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It could be some type of cancerous growth. One of my rainbowfish had something similar to this, and it died.
Oh no! I really hope not these guys are really little, I'm assuming juvies as they are less than an inch long at the moment. I will keep an eye on him and stay on top of water changes. Fingers crossed it will make a miraculous recovery lol

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Not an anchor worm. Anchor worms are red/pink and appear from the anus.

The pics aren't super clear, but at this point, I would say it's not a parasitic worm.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not an anchor worm. Anchor worms are red/pink and appear from the anus.

The pics aren't super clear, but at this point, I would say it's not a parasitic worm.
Isn't that camallanus worms? Ok, so looking more likely it's a growth of some sort then? The fish doesn't have any obvious injuries, it can't be fungal as it's internal (right?), how likely is a bacterial infection?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Think you're indeed mixing them up with Camallanus TD.
Anchorworms are white but hanging from the fish and having two eggsacs at the end.
Could this be dermosporidia ?
Blurry pics so hard to see.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Think you're indeed mixing them up with Camallanus TD.
Anchorworms are white but hanging from the fish and having two eggsacs at the end.
Could this be dermosporidia ?
Blurry pics so hard to see.
I've had a quick google and there are some similarities but mine doesn't have any cysts, the worm appears completely internalised under the skin. If this is what it is, do I need to treat with anything? I've just read a post about how the fish's immune systems will build up a defence to this, presumably in order for this to happen I need to leave it to do it's thing rather than intervene with meds?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Heh, yes, sorry, I was thinking of two many things at once! Still not an anchor worm, they hang off the body of the fish. Just gave the wrong explanation haha.

There are cestodes that seem to fill the body of the fish, but they usually occur in the bottom of the abdomen, rather than where yours has the cloudy spot.

Last edited:

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you for all of your replies guys, certainly given me something to think about. I will try to get video of the rummy tonight, perhaps that will be clearer/easier to see

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom