Is this a workable sump?

timg

Well Known Member
Reaction score
In order to filter the new tank, I have been looking at the idea of a sump. I have never dealt with this method before, but it seems fairly logical that it needs to handle a lot of water very quickly, filtering and purifying as it goes. I reckon that I need to filter something in the region of 1000 gallons an hour, which takes it way above anything that i can buy at sensible prices.

the cost of a pump to move that volume of water is £35.00. The cost of two large canister filters is £500 and they would struggle to handle the volume even then. the cost of building my own sump is very small, since most of the materials required are easily obtainable and cheap. What I need to know is am I looking at the right idea:

will the below plan work?
have I got the right idea?
What have I missed?

agsansoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What are you using for your overflow to the sump ?
Is your tank drilled ?

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I sent a pm to Dino about this. Hopefully you will get an answer soon!

timg

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks gunnie. I'm new to sumps, so don't know really what's needed. I suppose it might help if I sent a drawing of the tank it's going to be used on to give a better idea of what I need it to do. One of the main reasons for looking at a sump is to increase the surface area of the water for gas exchange. This is why I'm looking at the triple cascade, rather than bio-wheels. the volume of water that has to be passed through the sump also may cause problems for bio-wheels. I don't want them to generate electricity! (Mind you..... lol)

agsansoo, thanks for that, never gave an overflow any thought! The tank will be drilled to accommodate the intake and outlets. Here is the full design concept:

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Having a chamber just for carbon is IMO a waste of space.
You would be better off with more filter media and leaving a space where carbon can be easily added or removed as the need arises.
As with any multiple chambered filter, the very first thing you want to water to hit is a course material removal filter.
As the water moves thru the system, go to finer and finer sized filtering media.

Another idea to keep in mind, make sure it is set up so that you can get to any chamber without having to disassemble the whole system.

Hope this helps,
Dino

timg

Well Known Member
Reaction score
thanks Dino. Would it be best to put a course filter at the top of the cascade, or would this cause more problems than it would solve? My main concern here would be that if it blocked at all, the water coming in would be restricted and this would cause an increased load on the pump, as well as reducing the efficiency.

As you can see from the diagrams, the whole thing is designed with access in mind. The way I see it, all that would be required to maintain the filters would be to switch off the pump and open the cover to access all the filters. there shouldn't be any need to do anything with the cascade, as that should stay clear just through the volume of water moving down all the time. It would however, be removable if the need arose, but would require a full stripdown of the sump. (Unless I do a small re-design)

Another point that was raised earlier was an overflow. This thought brings me to the need for a control switch, which would stop the pump if the outlet is less than the intake. Am I working the thing the wrong way around? Should I have the pump on the return rather than the inlet? If this was the case, the whole design would fail, as it is planned to go on top of the tank, not under.

If I take the carbon filter chamber out and leave a small chamber where carbon granules could be added if needed, would that work better? If so, I can increase the amount of filter media by 20%.

Apart from these points, is it workable and will it do what I need it to do?

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
my word timg, no sooner have you finished one project, you're starting another ! good luck...

timg

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It's called forward planning!

Why finish one job before planning the next? Running several projects at the same time ensures that I've always got something to do!

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
do you ever sleep?!

timg

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Occasionally, but I have an over-active mind and when it has an idea, it won't give up until I've sorted it out! hehe

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom