Help Is This A Type Of Mold,fungus Or Algae; How Do I Get Rid Of It?

Nelpain

Reaction score
Hello!
I noticed this slimy white substance growing in my tank around a week and a half ago. My tank is currently doing a full on recycle (left for vacation, person who was to look over fish did water change and added no dechlorinator, and 'cleaned' my filter in regular water). I have looked this up and most said this was a bacterial bloom, which I believed since my tank is cycling. Most said to let it be, so I have and its gotten worse and is coating all of my plants, and even my filter itself. My fish seem alright, my betta is still blowing bubble nests.
Ammonia : .25
Nitrite : 0
Nitrate : 0
Dose daily with co2, run bubbler the opposite of co2 injections.

Attachments

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's fungus. Its feeding on dead & decaying bio gunk.
Careful feeding & tank maintenence w/ gravel vac & large weekly water change should clear it up.

Nelpain

Reaction score
That's fungus. Its feeding on dead & decaying bio gunk.
Careful feeding & tank maintenence w/ gravel vac & large weekly water change should clear it up.
Thank you so much! Would it be a good idea to start feeding every other day/ 3 times a week? How long do you think it will take for it to go?

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Feed once a day and try not to overfeed. A gravel vac can remove a lot of the fungus. Wiping it off the decor should speed things up too.

Nelpain

Reaction score
Feed once a day and try not to overfeed. A gravel vac can remove a lot of the fungus. Wiping it off the decor should speed things up too.
I gravel vacuumed the bottom, and removed a lot of it. Litter over an hour, its grown back , coating my plants worse than before. Is this normal?

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think the fast regrowth of the fungus is particularly normal. Evidently there continues to be elevated nutrients in the tank. Maybe your tap contains high nitrates.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom