Is This A Type Of Java Fern? (identified – Java Fern Trident)

1. BrettMad Initiate Member

New member here, if you go to the beginner's forum I have a post talking about having just set up a new tank with assistance from a couple folks who do that as part of their store and business.

I know this is a type of fern. I was looking up all the different plants on the invoice so I could learn a bit more about them and about their care, but most of the images I see of Java fern do not match this. I know there are numerous sub species, can anyone help identify if this is, in fact, Java fern and if so which sub species?

2. BrettMad Initiate Member

Okay, the image did not post. I have these on my Google drive (shared from my cell phone camera). I selected the image in chose to share it by getting a link, and that link is what I placed here. That does not seem to of worked, so I will see if I can figure out another way to do this. Let me know if you can see the image below please.

3. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

To me it is, shouldn't be burried in the substrate.
  4. BrettMad Initiate Member

Forgive me if I am not using the terminology correctly, the ferns seem to have a horizontal root/runner or at least the joint between that and the stem of the plant that goes upward is near 90°. There a couple inches long at this point, and in all cases one end of those is anchored in the substrate but most of the rest of it is not. The part anchored is mostly to keep it from floating around because they are not tied to anything at the moment. Most of the runner with all the fine goods coming from it is above the substrate...

Not trying to argue, I had help getting this set up and the person who set it up initially put the plants in that way. She did say that these would eventually end up growing over the driftwood on one side of the tank and the rocks on the other side where they are planted.

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

The rhizome should be above the substrate. If you bury it like you have here, it will die.

Unfortunately, not all fish store employees are as knowledgeable as they claim. The advantages of seeking help here in a forum is that we have nothing to gain from helping you; we are not in this for the money, like fish store employees are. If the plant dies, they'll sell you another one, or another light fixture, or more fertilizers.
  6. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Those are java fern trident. I agree with the above(s)
  7. BrettMad Initiate Member

All right, looking more carefully at these plants, now I know that the horizontal thing I was looking at is called a rhizome! This has a lot of fine roots coming off of it. Can those fine roots go into the substrate as long as the rhizome is above the substrate, or more specifically just along the top of the substrate?

A few days before she came back to do the second wave of plants in the first fish one of these plants came free and was floating around the tank. It is clear that they are large enough/buoyant enough that I either need to make sure the roots are well into the substrate or I need to try to tie them off to something in the fish tank otherwise they will just all end up floating around the top of the tank.

8. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Yes, you can bury the fine (dark brown) roots coming off the rhizome, just make sure the rhizome itself is above the substrate.
    And yes, they can be tied to driftwood or a rock piece, they'll gradually attach themselves to the item as they grow.

You can also try weighing the plant down with plant weights or other heavy/sinking aquarium safe items instead.