Is This A True Julii Corydora Or One Of The False Ones?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by MisguidedSanity, Apr 21, 2018.

1. MisguidedSanity

MisguidedSanityNew MemberMember

On Thursday I got a Corydora that is supposedly a Julii. As I forgot which one had the spots or the lines, I got him assuming he was a false one. Once I got home I went to find out whether he was a real one or not. The problem here is that there appears to be more than one type of "Julii" (the kind with the maze-like pattern on the head (the False one), the kind with larger spots on the head and body, and the kind with small spots on the head and body).

My lil' dude is pictured below.

Thanks in advanced

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  2. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

There is only one Corydoras julii. This isn't it, this is C. trilineatus, often called the "false julii" because it looks a bit like julii but isn't.

All Corydoras for sale as julii are trilineatus. It's very rare that you'll see a true julii and if you do they'll be very expensive.

3. OP
    OP
    MisguidedSanity

So, just for confirmation, mine is still the C. Trilineatus despite the dots not being connected (or not fully connected I guess)?

And that is what I've heard/read, but all the identification sites don't actually have a pic of an actual Julii. Can you confirm whether the one with small spots is an actual Julii?

Thanks a ton

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

It looks like a C. trilineatus to me, not a true C. julii, but I'm also not a cory expert. @Coradee can help.

Do you just have the one cory then? They should be in larger groups of their own species.

5. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

C.trilineatus (on unsuitable subestrate : sorry)

6. OP
    OP
    MisguidedSanity

I have him in with my group of peppered corys, when I went to Petsmart he was the only one in the tank. I spent all Thursday and Friday going to all of my lfs's to try to find him some buddies... I'm going to try to find more for him when they get new stock.

7. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

DoubleDutch beat me to it. :p

8. OP
    OP
    MisguidedSanity

I know that they prefer sand as their substrate, but at the time that's all Petsmart/Petco had. When I started this hobby it hadn't occurred to me to check out an actual lfs. I'm planning an upgrade in the future though, and at that time the substrate with be sand/finer gravel.

9. DoubleDutch

Think of feeding on a flat stone or.so.
    Food gets out of reach otherwise which is the issue.

10. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You can get sand cheaply at your local Tractor Supply, Lowe's, or pool store. Pool filter sand is $12 or so fora 50 lb bag. Black Diamond blasting sand is around $8 for a 50 lb bag. Get sand from a place like these, rather than from your LFS - much cheaper!

I'd go ahead and switch the gravel out for sand, without waiting until you upgrade. I'd also return this cory and just stick with the species you already have, unless your tank is big enough for two schools of cories (8 or so of each species in a 4 ft tank).

11. OP
    OP
    MisguidedSanity

Ah, thank you guys, I'll definitely get some at my local Lowe's. The corys are all juvenile at the moment, but I've got plans for a 40 gal before the end of the summer. Although from the sound of it I'm going to return the lil dude.

Thank you guys again

12. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

13. DoubleDutch

Reckon the fish you'll buy in a "common" LFS never will be C.julii