is this a so called designer breed of clownfish or is it tattooed?

1. frogfan Well Known Member Member

I dont do saltwater fish but the LFS I plan to go to this week to check out their fresh water stock has this picture on their webpage and i dont want to shop at a place that sells tattooed fish it says its a dos equis clown and it has a matching x on both sides

http://aquaticmarine.us/?p=730

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

It's called a snowflake clownfish, a man made colour variant of A.Ocellaris the common clown

3. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Question to my knowledge : are marine fish bred ??

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

A lot more are now, especially clowns

5. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Ahhh thanks. That's great !!! Thought all were wild caught.

6. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Basically all used to be W/C, using appalling methods like dilute bleach that would stun the fish, and kill the coral.
    I believe that those days are now well behind us, and any W/C specimens are now caught in a much less destructive manner.---rick

7. frogfan Well Known Member Member

What about the black x is that also genetic?

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Snowflakes have lots of different patterns, no idea whether those X's are just part of its unique pattern or not, I hope they're natural

9. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

They look quite uneven, and if they are sold from a place that sells tattooed fish, I'll bet that it is tattooed.

10. frogfan Well Known Member Member

I will know more when i go look at this stores stock but that will be a few weeks when my qt is disinfected and i have a day off. I will not be buying from them if they do infact sell tattooed fish

11. Slug Well Known Member Member

Really hard to say. Snowflake clowns can have interesting spots and patterns on them in the white. It would be a very rare occurrence to find clowns "tattoo'd" or dyed. Its crazy that its on both sides of the fish. I would lean on the guess that this is legit and just a crazy rare unusual marking. But I would need to see more pics, vide, or the fish in person to further confirm.

If legit that fish should be incredibly expensive.

12. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

from my experiance with tattoed fish the markings are always bright and uneven and if i may quite idiotic but i do not believe that this fish here is tattooed because of one reason and one reason only... tattoos are usually more bulky and if you zoom in on the marking while most of the X is uniform in size at one point the leg of the X is quite thin if you are trying to tattoo a fish it must be quite a bit thicker than that to be uniform or even draw peoples attention to it more i would say it was a bred in pattern

13. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

From memory, snowflakes are selectively bred to try and achieve various patterns, with more or less white.

The interesting bit about clowns (not just snowflake), is that IME, they tend to be quite symmetrical with their markings. That is, both sides of the fish often match or are fairly close.

The X, whilst unusual, IMO, is likely a natural pattern that occurred.

14. frogfan Well Known Member Member

Thank you everyone for your responses it is indead a quite unusual looking fish

Went to this store today not a bad looking store their tanks look like they could use some better upkeep their fresh water stock left alot to be desired and they seem to specilize in clowns they had a ton of clowns as for the 1 pictured with the x with out any experence with tattoos idk but there was a pale gray line around the x like the whitr and black blended together there