Is this a Rubber Pleco, or a Rubber-Lip Pleco?

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by 1hawaii50, Apr 8, 2010.

1. 1hawaii50Valued MemberMember

I stopped at my LFS and they had these and they were labeled "Rubber" plecos. The worker told me that they are "Rubber-Lip", and that "Rubber" pleco is just another name. I tried to tell him that they were 2 different fish, but he just looked at me like I was an idiot. I picked one up, as I believe that it is a Rubber-lip. If it is a Rubber pleco, then he has to go back, he'll get too big for my 38 gallon tank. If anybody can tell by the pics which type it is, I'd appreciate it.

243.jpg
    245.jpg
    247.jpg

I know the pics aren't the best, but it's the best I can get through the glass, and plastic bag.

Here's a couple more that may be better pics.

249.jpg
    251.jpg

2. MaddieLynn

MaddieLynnWell Known MemberMember

It looks like a rubber lip to me... I've never heard of a rubber pleco.

3. OP
    OP

1hawaii50Valued MemberMember

Over at planetcatfish, they have a profile for a rubber lip, and a profile for a rubber. The rubber looks like it gets bigger than the rubber lip. If this is a rubber, I'm taking him back. If it's a rubber lip...it's a keeper. I think it's a rubber lip too, but figured I'd ask the experts!

4. MaddieLynn

MaddieLynnWell Known MemberMember

According to PlanetCatfish, "Rubber" plecos get to be 8" max, and "Rubber nose" plecos get to 5" max. I didn't see any listing for a rubber lip. I think that what they are calling "Rubber Plecos" is what we call rubber lips, and what they are calling "Rubber Nose Plecos" are what we call bulldog or clown plecos. Yours looks to me like what they are calling a rubber pleco. Either way, I don't think it is going to get too big for your tank. Either one should be fine.

5. OP
    OP

1hawaii50Valued MemberMember

I think if he gets to 8", he'll be too big! My tank is ony 38G!

6. ppate1977

ppate1977Well Known MemberMember

I have the same fish (well same kind) - rubber lip pleco, commonly called a rubber pleco at fish stores/chain stores. He will get between 4 and 5 inches max.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice