is this a ramshorn?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by ILikeFishies, Jan 5, 2013.

1. ILikeFishies

ILikeFishiesValued MemberMember

hey guys, i found this snail in my tank, i took it out and took a picture of it. Is this what you call a ramshorn?

IMGP2638.jpgIMGP2639.jpgIMGP2640.jpgIMGP2643.jpg

2. ZeeZ

ZeeZWell Known MemberMember

Yes, that is a Ramshorn.

Some consider them a pest.

Others like them.

3. JoannaB

JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

I am one of those who really like them. Congrats on your Ramshorn snail - enjoy it!

4. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

haha, im not sure how i'll enjoy it, but think my dwarf puffers will o.o! They've been looking kind of skinny. Some tips to breed ramshorns o.o? I've only found 1 though >_<. Could they possibly be like mts :D?

5. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

If you overfeed your fish, they will multiply. I could be wrong, but I don't think they need a mate to reproduce.

6. ZeeZ

ZeeZWell Known MemberMember

I believe they do.

7. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

aw =/ so the ramshorn can't reproduce without the opposite sex. I've tried hunting in my tank for more, could not find anymore =/

8. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Well he came from somewhere, they don't just appear magically :p So you likely have another one hiding that you don't know about. They start out pretty tiny.

Once they mate, they can make more eggs without the need for another snail. I transferred ONE larger ramshorn to my snail tank, and in due order was overrun with them. So if you A) have another snail in there or B) that snail has mated already, then you should start seeing more. Ramshorns breed much more slowly than pond snails though, so it will take awhile.

9. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

what if the one i caught is male? lol i'm not exactly sure how the snail reproducing thing works xD