Is this a pleco?

1. aleu18 Member Member

image.jpeg Hi everyone im visiting my dad and i boticed that he has to rehome pretty much all his fish
    He has a...it looks like a pleco... In a tank right now but im bot sure
    I want to find it a proper home so can anyone help identify it
    Thanks
    image.jpeg

2. :) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

Can you Post a photo?

3. Vickygude1510 Member Member

Hi, Could you post a picture please it would make it easier :)

4. aleu18 Member Member

Yea sorry i edited a picture in
    i got a bit distracted by dogs

5. :) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

Definitely looks like a pleco, possibly a Common Pleco.

6. Vickygude1510 Member Member

I second a common, how big is the tank.

7. aleu18 Member Member

I cant believe im typing this as only one digit he has a 5 gallon!!!! it makes me so sad. My first job is to rehome it. He knows nothing about fish keeping so im teaching him all the things right now.
    Luckily he bought it when it was still only a baby which is why he thought it would be a good choice OH BOY WAS HE WRONG!! Its still pretty small maybe about 10 inches but i think its because its growth is stunted :( Def finding this poor guy a new proper home and giving my dad a lecture.

8. Vickygude1510 Member Member

Oh god a common in a 5 gallon. At least your dads got you to help him out and point him in the right direction. Hope you get him a nice new home. :)

9. Aquatica88 Member Member

Was 10" a typo? You mentioned that your pleco is "still pretty small", and to most casual fishkeepers 10" is pretty big. Also, a 10" pleco would take up most of the length of a usually 16" long 5 gallon tank.

That being said, that's horrifying. I'm glad you're getting him out of that tank. I had an awful visual of a Great Dane living in a closet.

10. aleu18 Member Member

Just thought everyone would like to know we found him a store who can find him a good home hopefully since we dont know anyone with such a large tank

11. llgarfield90 Initiate Member

Congrats!

12. Aquatica88 Member Member

That's great! Glad to hear it. :)