10 Gallon Tank Is this a Platy, Swordtail, or is it just a Platy that is healing from fin rot.

• Thread starter kaquatics84
  • Start date

kaquatics84

Ok so I have a 10 gallon with 8 Harlequin Rasboras, 3 Platies, 1 Guppy and 1 baby fry (I can’t identify it at the moment) but one of my Platies, which I got from the nearest Petco near me, I have had him for 2 months already, but I still question this. I have no clue if he is a Platy or a Swordtail because the employee who was assisting my mom, little brother and I at Petco, he said it might be one of those two. But the thing is, my black platy, Mikko, has an extra long tail but it seems that he HAD fin rot, again I had him for 2 months already. But if it was a normal tail, it just looks a little too long. The employee did ask his manager but the manager told him that it might have to be a platy only because of the body shape. So can someone help me identify if this is a Platy or Swordtail, or if it’s just a Platy that had fin rot and is still healing from it.
(My other Platy, Stubby, is covering he top of his tail but the top is just as long as the bottom)

Here is a better picture of Mikko’s tail, and also along with Stubby who loves to come to the front of the glass whenever he sees me

kaquatics84 said:
Here is a better picture of Mikko’s tail, and also along with Stubby who loves to come to the front of the glass whenever he sees me

Attachments

CosmicFish

Amusingly enough, it can be both. Platys and Swordtails can interbreed with each other. So you might have mixture. Swordtails are capable of growing quite large compared to Platys.

Your little one might be Lyretail Swordtail, but I’m not sure. I’ll let others be a better judge. Otherwise, I would say just let him regrow his fins and see if the ‘sword’ in the tail remains.

kaquatics84

CosmicFish said:
Amusingly enough, it can be both. Platys and Swordtails can interbreed with each other. So you might have mixture. Swordtails are capable of growing quite large compared to Platys.

Your little one might be Lyretail Swordtail, but I’m not sure. I’ll let others be a better judge. Otherwise, I would say just let him regrow his fins and see if the ‘sword’ in the tail remains.
Oh, thanks! I’ll let his tail grow back just to see what happens. But so far, his tail has been doing good and nothing bad has been happening to it yet.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
kaquatics84 said:
Ok so I have a 10 gallon with 8 Harlequin Rasboras, 3 Platies, 1 Guppy and 1 baby fry (I can’t identify it at the moment) but one of my Platies, which I got from the nearest Petco near me, I have had him for 2 months already, but I still question this. I have no clue if he is a Platy or a Swordtail because the employee who was assisting my mom, little brother and I at Petco, he said it might be one of those two. But the thing is, my black platy, Mikko, has an extra long tail but it seems that he HAD fin rot, again I had him for 2 months already. But if it was a normal tail, it just looks a little too long. The employee did ask his manager but the manager told him that it might have to be a platy only because of the body shape. So can someone help me identify if this is a Platy or Swordtail, or if it’s just a Platy that had fin rot and is still healing from it.
(My other Platy, Stubby, is covering he top of his tail but the top is just as long as the bottom)
Based on the pictures, he looks like a mixture of platy and swordtail. The one thing that confuses me are the long anal and dorsal fins. Neither swordtails or platys have that.
There might be a bit of molly in there too.

kaquatics84

AquaticQueen said:
Based on the pictures, he looks like a mixture of platy and swordtail. The one thing that confuses me are the long anal and dorsal fins. Neither swordtails or platys have that.
There might be a bit of molly in there too.
Oh wow, thanks! I’ll make sure to check up for signs and its appearance if the tail heals, if he has had fin rot before, to see if it is has signs of a molly as well.

UPDATE!
Ok so while searching up Lyretail Swordtails as CosmicFish said it might be, I came across a pic of a Veiltail Swordtail and the analfin has the exact same long pointed fin at the front of it. So I am also thinking it is either a Veiltail or not.

Attachments

AquaticQueen

Well Known
kaquatics84 said:
UPDATE!
Ok so while searching up Lyretail Swordtails as CosmicFish said it might be, I came across a pic of a Veiltail Swordtail and the analfin has the exact same long pointed fin at the front of it. So I am also thinking it is either a Veiltail or not.
He's probably a veil tail sword tail then.

Top Bottom