Is This A Orange Mexican Dwarf Crayfish?

Discussion in 'Crayfish - Crawfish' started by Rack, Apr 15, 2018.

1. R

Rack Valued Member Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, that is an MDC.
    No, I would not put crayfish with any other fish, because they can catch, and easily eat them.

Ghost shrimps are natural food for crayfish.

3. OP
    OP
    R

Rack Valued Member Member

Do they live in softwater ?

4. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

If it is truly a dwarf crayfish (Cambarellus patzcuarensis AKA CPOs), which it appears to be, then it can live with fish. Dwarf crayfish get no bigger than 1.5-2 inches and their pinchers are tiny. They can't catch and eat a fish unless it is already sick and dying or something.
    In fact, the dwarf crayfish are the ones who could be in danger in a tank with fish. When they molt they are very vulnerable and would need safe hiding spots. And larger fish could eat them no problem.

It would probably be ok with guppies or platies. But the crayfish could possibly harm the ghost shrimp.

5. Mcjan

Mcjan New Member Member

I have one in a 3.5 gallon tank with a betta and an Amano shrimp, they all ignore each other, btey are too tiny to bother too much, I would hesitate with dwarf shrimp or tiny fish however.

6. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

I keep mine with Cherry shrimp and Ember tetras. All is good.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice