Is this a nerite snail?

Mystic54
I was at Petsmart the other day and was looking at their tanks. Well I spotted these little snails all over some of there tanks and upon closer inspection they looked identicial to the pictures of nerite snails I have seen. They are fairly small about between the size of my ring fingernail and my pinky fingernail, maybe smaller than that. They didn't seem like they were selling them though, I thought of just asking for a couple but I don't want to buy them and then have an infestation of snails if they weren't nerite snails. What do you guys think?

CHoffman
The chances of them being nerite snails are very slim. Nerite eggs have to be in brackish water to hatch. They are probably pond snails..Pond snails multiply like crazy and are considered a pest to most people. They are very hard to get rid of once you get them, probably why Petsmart has them.

Mystic54
Ah okay, I was thinking so but kinda hoping it was too good to be true lol

CHoffman
Yup..lol..Nerites are great snails though. If you ever have a chance to get them I would recommend them. I have 3 and they are cute little buggers. Plus you don't have to worry about thousands of babies.

Mystic54
I've heard they are great snails, hmmmm, where did you happen to get yours from?

CHoffman
I bought them for Wilma. She is a great lady and I've bought from her on several different occasions. Snails and plants. Here is her website

Mystic54
Oh okay, well thank you! I will definitely check out her website!

CHoffman
I looked all over for them here and couldn't find them so I ended up having to order them. Try aquabid too. Good luck

jclee
If they were already fully grown, they could have been nerites. Although they don't reproduce in freshwater, they can be acclimated to fw and sold in fw tanks. I have a few that I bought in a pet store for my fw tank.

Mystic54
Thanks for the info guys! I will probably just be safe and order some online. Well maybe or maybe not now since my platies are being little boogers lol

Latest threads

Top Bottom