Is this a Molly or a guppy?

sellidionne

I got this fish from petsmart, they said she was a dalmatian molly but she looks more like a guppy to me? sort of? shes much smaller than my mollies and has the dorsal fin of a guppy.
I chose her because of the cool slight golden patches on her tail fin.

I’ve also noticed that she eats ALL OF THE TIME like my other fish will eat their flakes and then eat off of the bottom for a while and then will just swim around and follow me back and forth in front of the tank but this one is constantly eating off of the bottom and wedging herself into the oddest places just to try to eat stuff off of it. she’s getting really fat and is getting white spots on her belly. is that okay? I usually only feed them once a day since they eat off the plants and stuff so much.
ive heard of diseases where the fish swell up and their scales spike out, could this be happening?

austinindia555

Definitely a Molly. Much larger body than a guppy, and I’ve never seen an entirely black guppy.

e_watson09

Molly for sure There are black guppies but they're harder to find, not something you'd likely come by in a normal pet store

sellidionne

Definitely a Molly. Much larger body than a guppy, and I’ve never seen an entirely black guppy.
Oh okay. I wasn't sure because I used to have a guppy in here and she looked like she was shaped more like him but she was a bit bigger though. She is about half the size of my other mollies but who knows, maybe shes just a baby ☺️

e_watson09

Most common livebearers all have the same general body shape. Big differences is often size.

prasunchoudhari

it is definitely a molly try adding a tankmate for it.

KribensisLover1

Molly. They’re great in groups (IF you have the room AND ONLY WITH ONE MALE). Only with enough room! But I have golden panda mollies and they’re all the visitors favorites. They’re pretty and bright and are ALWAYS on the move. I have mine in a tea colored tank right now (from MopanI wood!) and they are PIGLETS. I thought one who was a boy was pregnant bc they will eat anything and get fat fast.

Livebearer89

Molly 100 percent

peddidle

Molly for sure There are black guppies but they're harder to find, not something you'd likely come by in a normal pet store
Our local PetCo carries them--all black ones and all white ones. It's possible they get them from a local breeder if their store policy allows for that.

My vote for the fish in the video is a molly, although I don't think I've ever seen a Dalmatian Molly with such little white on it. I had to Google it just to make sure I wasn't mixing up types of fish. In doing so, I stumbled across a Creamsicle Dalmatian Molly--I think I'm in luv!

sellidionne

Molly. They’re great in groups (IF you have the room AND ONLY WITH ONE MALE). Only with enough room! But I have golden panda mollies and they’re all the visitors favorites. They’re pretty and bright and are ALWAYS on the move. I have mine in a tea colored tank right now (from MopanI wood!) and they are PIGLETS. I thought one who was a boy was pregnant bc they will eat anything and get fat fast.
Lol they totally are! my fish eat off of the plants and rocks all day long and will even try to feed off of me when I’m maintaining the tank haha.
I wonder if I feed them too much but I can't imagine that I do because I am so scared of overfeeding that I feed them tiny bits at a time. They don't seem to mind though lol

Our local PetCo carries them--all black ones and all white ones. It's possible they get them from a local breeder if their store policy allows for that.

My vote for the fish in the video is a molly, although I don't think I've ever seen a Dalmatian Molly with such little white on it. I had to Google it just to make sure I wasn't mixing up types of fish. In doing so, I stumbled across a Creamsicle Dalmatian Molly--I think I'm in luv!

Omg those are beautiful! I was looking at a creamsicle lyretail at the pet shop that I wanted so bad but I was going through some water spikes and didnt want to introduce a new fish at the time. but yeah, she only has the small white spot on her belly that showed up about three weeks ago. My other dalmatian mollyused to be spotted but over the few momths that I’ve had him, he’s slowly lost his white spots and is now fully black. Even the other female has black spots now when she used to be fully white (I am also seeing small yellow spots on her as well?) and I’m not sure if that's normal lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Blueberrybetta
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
Dimple
  • Keyfishies
  • Molly