Is this a Metriaclima Callainos (Blue Cobalt)?

1. e

ericlacross New Member Member

I received 4 Metriaclima Callainos, but the one that is supposed to be the male has a deep purple color with some faint stripes. And everything I have found online says he shouldn't have stripes, so could you guys maybe help me identify him? The first picture is of the supposed male and the 2nd picture is supposed to be a female. Thanks guys!

Attached Files:

2. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    e

Yeah that sure does look like that could be it, I also thought he might be Metriaclima estherae (Blue)? Not sure what to do now, as I ordered them online and it seems he is the only one that was wrong? He is going to be in a tank with Pseudotropheus Saulosi and I'm afraid he will look too much like those males, resulting in fighting. What do you think?

4. navyscuba

They'll be ok. I got all kinds of them on my tank. Even got Venutus and Livinstonnis with small fish and they do just fine.

5. OP
    OP
    e

Ok, cool. He is absolutely beautiful and has a fun (but slightly aggressive) demeanor.

6. navyscuba

Yeah hope your not trying to breed fish cuz that little guy will be your tank cleaner when it comes to babies. ;D

7. kcarmartinez

kcarmartinez Valued Member Member

My female Cobalt Blues are more graying blue, my male is a lighter blue (my profile pic). Are all the other fish from the order about the same shade? That seems a little wierd that you order one kind of fish and they send you something completely different!!! Are they even sure the other fish are females?

8. OP
    OP
    e

Well the females came in one bag and the male came in his own bag. I emailed the place and am just waiting for a response. So I guess I have no idea if I have 3 females or what? If all the fish get along, I don't mind. All 3 of the Cobalts are very colorful and the male "whatever" is a really cool guy, so we will just cross our fingers and hope they stay getting along when they get older! Maybe I'll get lucky and the place will ship me a male cobalt for no charge? Not holding my breath though! LOL

9. OP
    OP
    e

Ok so the place got back ahold of me, and they admited that they sent the wrong fish. He said without a doubt that it is actually a Metriaclima emmiltos (Red Top Zebra). It sounds like he is going to get me a male Blue Cobalt and possibly some female Red Tops so that everyone has a "playmate".

10. kcarmartinez

:;banaman

11. OP
    OP
    e

kcarmartinez, I missed your earlier post about colors. Yes all 3 of the Cobalts look the same, a light blue, but not as light as the one in your picture. But I guess I have no idea if they are actually females? Thats what they said but from what I've been reading, its hard to tell. I can tell you that 2 of them are developing egg spots, isn't that normally a trait for male cichlids? P.S. Your male looks stunning!

12. navyscuba

Egg spots can develop on either male or female. There's only one true way to sex African Cichlids when they are similar in color. Check this link.
    http://cichlid-forum.com/articles/gender.php

13. OP
    OP
    e

Thanks for the link! I have heard of "venting" but didn't really know what it was. I think I will pass on this for now, to be honest holding fish kind of freaks me out. I am still kind of new to this and even sticking my hand in the tank makes me nervous even though I know they can't bite. I guess I'm just a panzy! I would be afraid to get nervous and squish or drop the poor guys (or gals). Thanks again guys for all the good info, this has to be the best forum for getting answers without being treated like a moron, and for that I thank you!

14. kcarmartinez

My colbalts are actually two different shades. I know the darker grayer ones are females because at one point or another they have been holding (though babies quickly disappear in my tank). My male is a lighter shade of blue, especially when he is looking for a mate.
    But yes, the best way to tell without waiting for them to breed is by venting.
    I was concerned that if they didn't even send you the right fish they might have sent you too many males. If they were able to clear up the fish identification issue pretty quick it might have been just a small mix-up. It is great that they are sending you a new male though, they are beautiful fish.

15. navyscuba

Color

Cobalt blues are Monomorphic species, you can't put a color and say is a Male. Believe Me you can't trust that. Thought I had a Big male and one day looking at my tank noticed the same fish holding. Unless you can place a specific marking on that fish you can't tell male and female like that. Fish change color depending on stress levels or if they want to spawn.

16. kcarmartinez

I think my male must always be ready to spawn then. ;D At one time I had all three of the other fish holding and they are all slightly darker in color. So I guess they are not as excited about spawing as he is...