Is this a male pearl gourami?

Argyle

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi, i recently bought 3 juvenile pearl gouramis and im fairly certain 2 are female, but my 3rd pearl started getting an orange throat. the other 2 didn't develope that coloration . I'm not to certain on the sex first time having pearls can anyone help me out?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes. According to my calculations that does indeed look to be a Juvenile Male Pearl Osphronemidae. Or as we like to call them gourami.
No stores show the scientific names of fish. Honestly i'de rather hear the regular common name of fish rather than the mumbo jumbo 49 letter name.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes its a male. And no saying Osphronemidae doesn't make you a pro ;) Maybe some humour I don't get. I say gourami myself.

Argyle

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you for the reply! Awesome I was interested in how brightly colored he got so quickly!

Thanks for the reply and awesome never knew they were called Osphronemidae thats cool to know thanks!

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No stores show the scientific names of fish. Honestly i'de rather hear the regular common name of fish rather than the mumbo jumbo 49 letter name.
Agreed, It is not like I am going around being like "Can I get a Pygoplites diacanthus?"

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the reply and awesome never knew they were called Osphronemidae thats cool to know thanks!
That's the scientific name of the family of fish (gourami). Pearls are actually called Trichopodus leerii (scientific name). Their common name is pearl gourami. Common names are what people go by for obvious reasons.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a Pearl gourami... his name wouldn't sound the same if i called him salami the Osphronemidae instead of salami the gourami :)

NicksFishTanks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Lol everyone’s going crazy because I made a joke about the name

That's the scientific name of the family of fish (gourami). Pearls are actually called Trichopodus leerii (scientific name). Their common name is pearl gourami. Common names are what people go by for obvious reasons.
I was joking

Noob? that seems like a pretty ignorant reply. No stores show the scientific names of fish. Honestly i'de rather hear the regular common name of fish rather than the mumbo jumbo 49 letter name.
Haha. I was joking.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom