Is This A Male Or Female Angelfish? Help

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by AndyVE, Apr 23, 2018.

1. AndyVEValued MemberMember

Or is he/she still too small to determine?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  2. Little JohnValued MemberMember

I have no idea but its pretty.

3. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Too small, but even adult angels can't be accurately sexed without seeing their breeding tubes.

4. yukondogWell Known MemberMember

What Tex said.

5. AngelmomValued MemberMember

I'm terrible with photos, but if you can enlarge my avatar photo it might help. This is my pair of breeding koi angels - male on the left. I think it helps to have them side by side, and in this photo you can see the "hook" or jagged edge on the ventral fins of the male, while the females are smooth . Not always reliable, but in the absence of a breeding tube I think it's helpful.

6. AndyVEValued MemberMember

Thanks for the advice....now i know already something more to watch for.

7. AlbifronsWell Known MemberMember

It's probably too small to determine the sex, and even when they're adults I find it's still very hard to tell them apart unless you have a mated pair that is breeding. If you have any more questions I'm sure @bizaliz3 can help you out.

8. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Too small to sex. And even when it is bigger you need to see the breeding tube to accurately sex them. There is no other way. (As Texas already said)

Look at my angelfish gender example sticky. They do not follow any guidelines.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice